The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got about a 3/4 acre plot i want to plant in the spring and wonder what kind of winter preping i can do. it is an over grown feild i brushhogged in sept. any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If it's along the edge of a woods do a cut back border to increase sunlight along the edge. It's one of my favorite projects to do. Helps small game, becomes a deer staging area, and improves the productivity of the edge of the plot

·
Registered
890 Posts
It should have been sprayed with roundup last September. Tilling it and planting in the spring is going to give you SEVERE weed problems.

If you want to do it right, till in mid/late april, wait 4 weeks, spray with round-up, wait 6 to 8 week (even till again) spray with round up. Mid august spray again and plant oat/buckwheat/turnip mix. MAYBE and its a big MAYBE also seed a clover mix. If its been an overgrown field you are going to have a HUGE wed seed load. You may need to repeat the above a 2nd year then also seed you clover mix. Then you will have a weed free plot. Lime ASAP

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JTGuy said:
It should have been sprayed with roundup last September. Tilling it and planting in the spring is going to give you SEVERE weed problems.

If you want to do it right, till in mid/late april, wait 4 weeks, spray with round-up, wait 6 to 8 week (even till again) spray with round up. Mid august spray again and plant oat/buckwheat/turnip mix. MAYBE and its a big MAYBE also seed a clover mix. If its been an overgrown field you are going to have a HUGE wed seed load. You may need to repeat the above a 2nd year then also seed you clover mix. Then you will have a weed free plot. Lime ASAP
thats some really good advice where were you in september.... just kidding.. im planting a clover mix that i got from a buddy it has like 10-15 different clovers in it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Some of my most succesful clover chicory plots were established in a fall planting.I would also recommend a cover crop like winter wheat,winter rye or oats.If you lime early this spring and work on weed control over the summer you should be good.alot of the work depends on what equipment you have and how much time you can spend on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts