The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had much luck with the winter peas? Haven’t done much with them in the past and was thinking about doing more in my fall plantings. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
410 Posts
First time I planted them they were a great success, grew great, took a lot of browse pressure, super attractive. Never could duplicate that level of success after that. most of it was my fault, started using them in mixes and tried different planting methods,etc. one thing that stayed constant was there attraction. The deer loved them. definitely give them a try

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
I never planted them straight and they were always in the mix. They never did any good in the mixes. I have been tempted to try them myself.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I also was going to try winter peas in a half acre this year. When is a good time to plant them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Last year I planted a 3/4 acre plot with Windham winter peas and Oats. I planted them in mid august and they did really well for me. The deer loved them and they held up fairly well. Good luck with your plantings!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Last year I planted a 3/4 acre plot with Windham winter peas and Oats. I planted them in mid august and they did really well for me. The deer loved them and they held up fairly well. Good luck with your plantings!
Do they hit them in early fall or are they more like brassicas and turnips that they hit in late fall/winter?

·
Registered
679 Posts
They didn't really start hitting the plot till middle of archery season, but then that plot had constant deer in it thru late muzzy season. Some of our best bucks were in there feeding after rifle season. Can't say for sure they were feeding on leftover peas though as property is 4 hours away. I just go by my trail cam pics.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The plot was just shy of a half ac. and the deer were constantly in it, sometimes 10 at a time. It took some serious browse pressure. After looking back on the picture I'm not sure why I didn't plant them straight again. I seem to remember the following year they did not carry the same brand and the one's they replaced them with just didn't perform well, but again I was only using them in a mix. I think next year i'll give a straight planting another go round

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
I just ordered some winter peas tonight from Merit. Going to try them this year. Might plant them next week sometime.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I just ordered some winter peas tonight from Merit. Going to try them this year. Might plant them next week sometime.
I also picked up some winter peas....last week when I was at the local seed joint picking up my turnips, rape, and radishes. I sprinkled in a few peas with the brassica mix we planted this past weekend, but the majority will be planted with the oats/barley/clover mix around Labor Day.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Winter peas going in this weekend too. Will mix with oats and 25 lbs of soybeans. Brassica mix will go into other 1/2 of plots. All will get overseeded with rye around labor day.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
How do you like the barley? I have never tried it but have been hearing more and more of people planting it
The barley does not have all the great characteristics and soil-building effects of rye, but we like it for the early seed maturity in the early summer for the hen turkeys and their poults. Along with the young clover, the deer keep the barley mowed down to a carpet through the winter and early spring until everything else greens up in the spring.

If I were trying to build poor soil or provide more fawning cover, I would go with the rye....and I still might mix in some rye if I can find it readily available....but the early June seed maturity is driving factor for us.

Pictures taken May 27th of this year.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts