The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i friend of mine gave me a coffee can of winter onions last fall, so i planted them in my garden, however i dont knwo the first thing about them or harvest times. does anyone on here ever planted them before?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
If they are the same ones my mom planted some years ago, she called them "Thanksgiving Onions"...

She planted them in the middle of August to the beginning of September...She had gotten them from an Amish Woman at Middleburg Auction/produce market and the Amish Woman told her to let the first batch go to seed and snip the seeds off....The seeds are Not like Regular onions, the Winter/Thanksgiving Onions get a ball at the top of the stem like a regular onion will do but it does not produce Seeds in that big ball like a regular onion but you let it go and then small shoots start coming out of that ball and the ball turns into small bulbs off of each small shoot/stem...you cut that off once the bulbs form and seperate the bulbs and use them to plant and keep winter/thanksgiving onions going...

Mom had Thanksgiving Onions growing for a few years then pulled them all..I wish she would have kept them going..they were not all that big (Maybe the size of a Golf Ball)but they were good eating onions!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts