The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up at my camp in Cross Fork, Potter County for four days - enjoying a few days of peace and quiet to "drfrag and re-boot!" This morning the CRoss Fork Sportsmen's Club members were out with pick-up loads of corn filling the feeders in the area. They always wait until the late flintlock season is over.

Some, mostly the state, disagree with winter deer, turkey and other wildlife feeding, but I always support the practice. It's been cold and snowy outside, and I'm sure 'all' wildlife will appreciate the efforts.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
If they are used to eating corn, then I'm sure they do appreciate it. If they're not, then you might be hurting more than you help.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
They only eat corn from mid-Jan to mid-March where they are feeding.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean that "sudden change in feed" theory? What about when the grass greens up, the apples ripen and fall, and the acorns drop from the trees. They - and may other things in nature - are sudden changes in food sources...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Karl Power said:
Do you mean that "sudden change in feed" theory? What about when the grass greens up, the apples ripen and fall, and the acorns drop from the trees. They - and may other things in nature - are sudden changes in food sources...
Not a theory at all; didn't you ever change your dogs food suddenly and have them get sick? The grass doesn't suddenly green up all over, the apples or acorns don't all fall from the tree in one day. Although seasonal, these foods get incorporated into their diet over a period of time. I think you mean well, I just happen to think you're wrong.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I have picked up three dead fawns this week with chronic acidosis. The deer (any age) with acidosis is unable to properly digest food, causing dehydration, diarrhea, malnutrition, and can ultimately lead to death. If you look at the marrow of a deer that has died from this it will sometimes be red or yellow and gelatinous instead of pink and fatty, indicating malnutrition.

In PA this condition is often associated with feeding activities – corn, sweet feed, etc – in the winter.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Im 42, and this practice in Cross Fork has been going on as long as I can remember. If there is a negative impact, ive never seen it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Some people would rather satisfy their wants instead of learning from facts. There is no need to feed corn in the winter and it could very well cause more harm than good.

·
Super Moderator
14,544 Posts
Winter-feeding of big woods deer populations by any method other than browse cutting is certainly not a benefit to the deer. As others have pointed out it can and often does kill a lot of deer.

During the many, many years that I did winter mortality surveys I found way more dead deer on the survey routes where there was winter-feeding than I found on the routes where there was no winter-feeding. In fact on many of the routes where deer were being fed I found more dead at the end of the winter than I had seen as hunter harvests within the same areas the previous fall. Those facts pretty much convinced me that winter-feeding, at least during some years, kills more deer than hunters do.

Anyone that REALLY cares about deer will stop feeding them and instead start working to create a better natural habitat and food supply for them instead of going out and dumping food for them in the winter.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I don't know many deer feeders. For the ones I do know, it is an emotional issue of "the deer needing help". It is pushed by the hunting shows and the stores that sell the feed. It is a $$$ issue for them.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
R. S. B. said:
..In fact on many of the routes where deer were being fed I found more dead at the end of the winter than I had seen as hunter harvests within the same areas the previous fall.....
and you came to the conclusion that the cause was indeed supplemental feed how? how did you rule out other factors such as increased predation due to the localized food source, disease, etc?

·
Super Moderator
14,544 Posts
pahick said:
Im 42, and this practice in Cross Fork has been going on as long as I can remember. If there is a negative impact, ive never seen it.
Really! Aren’t you one of the once that is constantly complaining about your areas not having as many deer as there had once been?

Did you ever stop to think that the bred does would most likely have a higher fawn survival rate, in the spring, if people weren’t causing them to go through the winter in a nutritionally stressed condition by feeding them food they can’t turn into nutrition? Just because it didn’t kill the adult deer and only killed her fawns wouldn’t you think of that as a negative?

By my way of thinking anything that contributes to deer not gaining weight and instead results in them losing weight and thus producing under weight fawns that die within days of being born would be a negative affect on deer and the future for deer populations.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
R. S. B. said:
Really! Aren’t you one of the once that is constantly complaining about your areas not having as many deer as there had once been?
sure, due to HR. if you have studies proving that supplemental feeding in 2G has hampered reproduction on any grande scale, feel free to point me in that direction!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Another interesting trait of the deer feeders, they generally do not shoot does. Again, with emotional reasoning.

·
Super Moderator
14,544 Posts
pahick said:
R. S. B. said:
..In fact on many of the routes where deer were being fed I found more dead at the end of the winter than I had seen as hunter harvests within the same areas the previous fall.....
and you came to the conclusion that the cause was indeed supplemental feed how? how did you rule out other factors such as increased predation due to the localized food source, disease, etc?
All of those dead deer were checked to determine the color of the bone marrow, which shows whether the deer died of malnutrition. Many of those deer died of malnutrition with stomachs packed so full of corn they couldn’t have eaten any more. And, predation doesn’t cause deer to die of malnutrition even though the predators certainly did scavenge on those deer that died of malnutrition.

The FACT is ALL of the evidence proves that winter-feeding of deer is harmful to deer yet people still insist on doing it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see because the truth doesn't fit their beliefs.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
If you are gonna feed, feed all year. Otherwise, all that is accomplished is concentrating deer in one area and stressing not only the surrounding habitat but the deer themselves. In the end, mortality through predation and other stressors is gonna be higher.

I have no issues with supplemental feeding but it is much better to feed small amounts over a long period of time. So that the feed becomes one part of a diverse diet that largely includes natural browse. Any shortcoming within the natural feed are supplemneted by the placed feed.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
R. S. B. said:
All of those dead deer were checked to determine the color of the bone marrow, which shows whether the deer died of malnutrition. Many of those deer died of malnutrition with stomachs packed so full of corn they couldn’t have eaten any more. And, predation doesn’t cause deer to die of malnutrition even though the predators certainly did scavenge on those deer that died of malnutrition.

The FACT is ALL of the evidence proves that winter-feeding of deer is harmful to deer yet people still insist on doing it.

Dick Bodenhorn
Youve posted the same on this subject in the past. And I wont discount your findings. But ive always been intrigued by things such as this. One study in particular stated deer were malnourished not because of the supplemental feed, but because of lack of browse. The supplemental feed caused the deer to yard up unnaturally, which caused an over browsing issue. The deer only went to the supplemental feed when starvation took hold, which was too late.

Anyhow, as I said before, this has been going on forever up there. Where are the huge kills due to supplemental feeding? Why hasnt the PGC put their foot down? I dont see the problem. Sorry?

·
Super Moderator
14,544 Posts
pahick said:
R. S. B. said:
sure, due to HR. if you have studies proving that supplemental feeding in 2G has hampered reproduction on any grande scale, feel free to point me in that direction!
How many studies and articles on the harmful affects of feeding deer do you want? These many not be specific to unit 2G but surely you are intelligent enough to realize the 2G deer aren’t some superior species to all the other deer around across their range, aren’t you?

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/deer/feeding_deer.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/deerfeed.htm

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5161807_feed-deer-winter.html

http://www.animalrangeextension.montana.edu/articles/wildlife/deer_tough_love.htm

http://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/feeding-corn-to-deer-could-be-death-sentence/14324.html

Here you can find many more studies and articles on the subject. If you can’t find the evidence from this it is only because you don’t want to and really don’t care about the future of the deer.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Mortality+f...mp;qs=n&sk=

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 57 Posts