The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any luck bowfishing in winter. I heard it can be good when there is a hole in the ice but i'm more curious on the boating side of it. has anyone actually went out in winter on a boat and been successful?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, I guess no one,lol
I must be the only desperate idiot dum enough to think it. isn't it sad what you do to stay content

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Gotta wait until spring when the carp come shallow to spawn.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I had good luck in the winter months but that was in Florida. Lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
Saw a big school of catfish in about 5 feet of water about a week and a half ago. Occasionally I see fish shallow enough to shoot this time of year, but I bet it would be tough sailing. Maybe at night?

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can find them just gotta cover a lot of water. Best nights are after warmer sunny days on rock or in shallow bays that will hold heat. It can be decent in rivers in the winter they can't really head to deep water. Just use your head and becareful. Not a good time of the year to go for a swim

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I caught a huge carp ice fishing years ago in about 15ft of water. I actually was checking the depth with a heavy weight clipped on a jig when it hit. First any only time I have heard of carp through the ice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had great success in the winter for hog carp in rivers where warm water is being discharged. I have never tried bowfishing for them from a boat when the ice is breaking up but I have seen pictures of successful bowfishermen doing that. Maybe its better where lakes stay frozen for a long period of the winter into spring.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just curious. not really to keen on shootin bow at night in freezing water. i'll have to wait till spring when the hogs come out. I've done this for years and we go out at night with boat and generator but just wondered if anyone ever tried it in the winter months. I heard it can get good on the river in the winter but who wants to risk it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts