The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not an avid flintlock guy, although my seasons for deer never end with scouting, planting food plots, trail cams, you name it, im a bow hunter.....but I love the smell of the powder, the flash of the flint hitting the frizzen, the cloud that plumes after the shot, takes me back to everything that is great about the past time, just as our fathers did so many years ago, i was very fortunate yesterday morning as this nice doe came in to 40 yards, an we connected for a moment in a brief eye to eye stare down, until the gun sparked, fired, and the bullet found its mark! was another great day as always whether successful or not!

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Congratulations on the harvest.

I should have had a harvest yesterday as well. The first time I stalked up on deer they were moving my way from about 70 yards but still in the heavy brush. When a big doe approached toward a semi open area I cocked the gun, she heard it, looked my direction, picked my out and she and four other deer bolted away without a shot.

The next deer came within 25 yards and offered lots of good shots but it was a buck and I had already used my buck tag. A short time later four antlerless deer approached on the same trail the buck had used. I left them approach to the open area and cocked the gun. Once again the lead doe heard it and looked at me. Just as I was lining the sights up she and the other three all bolted back the direction they had come from. One stopped at about 70 yards behind some brush and I tried unsuccessfully to thread a bullet through the brush but it was a clean miss. A while later another deer came though on the same trail and I left it come to about 50 yards and cocked the gun. Once again it heard it and looked my direction but then after a short time continued on the trail. I don’t know what went wrong with that shot but I missed that one too.

That black powder hunting, especially on good snow for quiet moving, sure is a good time though isn’t it?

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dick, Depending on the type of trigger you have, try this. Pull the hammer back a little (assuming you were in the half cock position)and hold it there. Pull the trigger back and hold in that position and then pull the hammer back all the way. Release the trigger and then lower the hammer onto what should be the full cock notch. You should now have a cocked rifle with NO CLICKS.
George

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Dick, Depending on the type of trigger you have, try this. Pull the hammer back a little (assuming you were in the half cock position)and hold it there. Pull the trigger back and hold in that position and then pull the hammer back all the way. Release the trigger and then lower the hammer onto what should be the full cock notch. You should now have a cocked rifle with NO CLICKS.
Was thinking the same thing. This season is too hard with many variables to blow chances because of such sounds. The Deer are on high alert after going through several prior seasons, so getting them in range is tough enough. Don't blow it by making metallic noises..... blow it once you pull the trigger at least.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Fleroo said:
Was thinking the same thing. This season is too hard with many variables to blow chances because of such sounds. The Deer are on high alert after going through several prior seasons, so getting them in range is tough enough. Don't blow it by making metallic noises..... blow it once you pull the trigger at least.
On the last one I did just that of cocking it while having the trigger back and there was still a slight click and then another slight click when I pulled the set trigger. The two clicks were still enough for the deer to stop and look my direction. I think that is why I kind of rushed my shot and likely why I missed.

Oh well, I had a good time and I sure don’t need another deer. My brother-in-laws sure would like for me to harvest one more though since I promised to give them each part of the next one.

I’ll be back out after them soon.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
818 Posts
Set triggers are a pain in the hips! Some will allow you to shoot just using the back trigger. Try that.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats great, i remember you, i was small then of course, jim rankin was my pap, and i also remember waldmen well too!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts