The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some wings and peppers from the farm market. Got both smokers going tonigh. Will show some picture later

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Tater I made ur abts for a party a couple months ago and they were a hit. I was making burgers and dogs that day by the time I got back in the house only 5 abts were left. I made 60 of them.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do go quick

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
John Henry said:
OK, I see no pictures, and what is an ABT?
Atomic Buffalo Turd. (Jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese, meat and chedder, wrapper in bacon and smoked, very addicting)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
hmm these abt's sounds different. where do you find jalapenoes this time of year. aren't they a seasonal thing?

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i found some of the best i ever got at a farm market. its always warm somewhere plus lots of indoor growers. i know people in florida who grow year round

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
does a jalapenoe get hotter then an uncooked when while doing this? I can eat canned jalapenoes and such. this would be nice to do this summer when my buddy gets fresh ones from his garden.

how long do you smoke em for?

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
these are not that hot at all. if you take ALL the seeds and the white vein out they aren't hot, my wife loves them and she doesn't like hot food at all.

i cook mine till the bacon is the way i want it. never really timed it,but probobly hour and a half or two hours.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
get a drum and ya can smoke outside

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I might try some of these then in the coming weekend. got a recipe?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Here is what I use...

Atomic Buffalo Turds:
20-30 Large Jalapeno peppers (this will make 40-60 turds)
1 block cream cheese, room temperature
½ Cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Minced roasted garlic
1 package thick sliced bacon
40-60 toothpicks
Small package of Little Smokies
(The amount of peppers determins the finished turds)

Take the peppers, cut the off the stems and split them into halves. Now rinse out any remaining seeds from the inside of the pepper with cold water and place them on a paper towel to dry. Remeber, when coring the peppers - the amount of membrane you leave inside the pepper will determine how hot the turds are. The more membrane you leave, the hotter the turd will be. Use a small spoon or mellon baller to remove
the membrane & seeds.

Time for the cream cheese. If your cream cheese is not room temperature, it will need to be softened (15-20 seconds in the microwave) to make it a little easier to pipe. Mix cheddar cheese, cayenne and garlic with cream cheese. Spoon the cheese into the corner of a sandwich bag, cut a small hole in the corner to pipe in the pepper. Some people like to season the cream cheese with Mrs. Dash, liquid smoke or other spices/seasonings - just don't over do it.

Place a little smokie or other choice of meat (I prefer pepperoni) on top of the cream cheese mixture. Wrap the pepper with a piece of bacon and place a toothpick all the way through to hold it all together.

Now your buffalo turds are ready for smoking. Some people place them in the cold smoke chamber on my smoker and keep them about 150-180 for an hour or so. You can place them into your main cooking chamber at around 225-250 let them cook an hour or so.

Basicaly these things are "GOOD" so be sure too make plenty so the cook gets some to. If you remove all the membrane and seeds they are not any hotter than a pepperoni. USE CAUTION they are very addictive.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
WELL TATER.. I DID IT!

Finally made my first batch of ABT's!!

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I made the recipe with the crabmeat and cheese wrapped in bacon of course. Smoked with Apple Wood.

Came out very good for my first time.
I did use both Jalapenos and a Red Fresno pepper that I saw in the store.
The Jalapenos we much better! Made a batch of 55 halves.

And do wear latex gloves when cleaning these peppers! I was literally gaggin' and crying at the sink preparing them and smellin' the fumes from them.

But once you get the guts out of them, they really are not hot at all.

Big Ken... as for finding peppers this time of year. No problem. I found them in a local Price Chopper.

PS.. Just don't eat too many in one sitting! They do catch up to ya later!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts