The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do female wing bones sound best, or would male wing bones also work/sound decent?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I've made some with both. Depending on how long/short you make the pieces, you can get different sounds out of them. My favorite one is from one of my gobbers from 2011. It souds better than all the others I've made

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
They all sound good. It's always been said that hen bones make the best sounding calls but I have not found that to be the case.
I've made them out of gobbler, jake, hen and goose bones and really, if hard pressed to pick my favorite, I'd say jake bones....BUT, I think they all sound great.

As far as the pitch goes, gobbler bone will generally be a little deeper, but I've found that by keeping them a little shorter in length, you can get a pretty high pitch.

And finally, the more you practice, the better they sound.

·
Registered
826 Posts
fall gobbler said:
They all sound good. It's always been said that hen bones make the best sounding calls but I have not found that to be the case.
I've made them out of gobbler, jake, hen and goose bones and really, if hard pressed to pick my favorite, I'd say jake bones....BUT, I think they all sound great.YEP!!!!!!!

As far as the pitch goes, gobbler bone will generally be a little deeper, but I've found that by keeping them a little shorter in length, you can get a pretty high pitch.

And finally, the more you practice, the better they sound.
YEP!!

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> You can also mix and match bones from different turkeys...I have a call with a snow goose mouth piece & a jake of the year middle and bell section...

You can change the sounds of your calls by cupping your hands almost closed over the end of the call or changing lengths of of the call sections...

Lots of varibles working with wingbones...</span>

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here's my view, a wingbone is made from "wing bones" the ulna, humerus and the raidious of the wild turkey. not cane not geese, or anything else. I have nothing against using other materials to build a call, but if I build one it's made from 3 bones out of 1 wing. That's just me, no disrespect intended to anyone!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts