The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else use them? It is looking like a bumper crop this year. Normally they start ripening about the 4th of July here and are over about July 20. Got close to an acre of them on the hill going down to the creek.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We like them also, my wife uses them in her shakes.It does look like a good crop. There different then Raspberries. When you pick them they leave and orange color on the stem. I tried one on Saturday, not ready yet. Just check for ticks after your done picking.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wineberries, unlike rasberries, have a fuzzy husk over the berry that opens up a week to ten days before they get ripe. IIRC the canes are similar but covered with reddish "hairs"

They are hard to cultivate but grow wild in fence rows, road banks and shady pastures that have been let go. They have a much different taste than red rasberries, but I suppose some call them that.

A few years ago, we put six or eight gallon in the freezer. I know they make good pie and jelly. My brother and I once picked a bunch, squeezed the juice and made a sort of Italian ice with the juice in an old crank ice cream freezer.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
It's gonna be a bumper crop this year. My back yard is loaded and I have a stockpile (acres) on top of the mountain where they did a clearcut a few years back. Can't wait to get back from TN in two weeks to see if they are ready.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hmmm, never knew they were called wineberries. We've always called them red raspberries, who knew. Either way we have a ton this year as well. Obviously, we make wine out of them

·
Registered
258 Posts
BK, I would be interested in a wineberry recipe. We are going to have a bumper crop at our house this year and I would love to make some wine with them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts