The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked just over 4 gallons yesterday and barely made a dent in the patch we have. We'll probably pick another few gallons this evening.

On Sunday, I picked two gallons of blueberries from our domestic bushes. We aren't getting any Black berries this year.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have picked 7 gallons of raspberries so far. The black berries are just getting started and I anticipate picking around 10 to 12 gallons. I am picking them for a farmer friend in Nebraska, who likes to make wine. I have been putting them in 1 gallon zip lock backs with a cup of water. I have been sucking the air out of the bags and I rotate the full bags a couple of times over the first couple of hours in the freezer, to try and get some water on most of the berries. I am hoping this helps to keep them from freezer burn. Any suggestions on a better manner of freezing?

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we wash blue berries, we roll them on a towel to dry. Then place them on cookie sheets in the freezer and let them freeze individually. Once frozen they are transferred to a closed freezer container and they stay loose that way so I can just scoop out a cup or two as needed. The wineberries are frozen individually as well. And then put into airtight freezer containers. We have never had a problem with berries and freezer burn. I have kept some as long as three years in the freezer, however, we keep them in a chest freezer (not frost free) at -10 degrees. I currently have some black berries in the freezer, frozen the same, individually, that have been in there for two years. No freezer burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts