The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everybody making this year? I have three gallons of grape and gallons of blackberry, peach, pear and pumpkin. This is my first attempt at pear and pumpkin. Already racked the blackberry and peach once and they others will probably be racked for the first time the end of this week.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
5 gallons Black Raspberry/Wine Berry/ Black Berry Mix, 5 gallons peach and 1 gallon of Tomato for now...

If I can get back to the place I seen the 30 pounds of fox grapes last weekend and pick this coming Saturday it will be 3 gallons of Fox Grape and then 5 gallons of Hard Cider when I get 5 gallons of Cider from Strites Orchard!

I've made pumpkin before and if there would have been extra pumpkins this year, I would have made 2 gallons of it...did you add any Pumpkin Pie Spices to your pumpkin when you first started fermenting it?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
pchunter1231 said:
I would like to make some grape wine this but i dont know how. Any advice would be appreciated.
pchunter, I take it from your 4B listing and your screen name, your in Perry County...

Take a trip down to Lemoyne to Scotzin Brothers http://www.scotzinbros.com/
They will help you get started, they have starter kits for the Beginners and their own Recipe Book (Their Recipe book is good but they use alot of water in their recipes, which can be deleted if you increase the amount of fruits) and also have days where they do work shops to show how to make wine and beer!

Take a trip down there, grab yourself a starter kit and question them, See the old guy Tom that works in there, he is the Wine Expert for the Store and will have your Head Spinning on all he has to offer to help you get started!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Anyone wanting Apple Cider with no pasterization chemicals added to it to make Hard Cider, Strites Orchard is pressing atleast once a week right now, I just got off the phone with them...get your buckets into them so they can fill them right at pressing time before the add that sodium stuff to perserve it!

I'll be running a 6 gallon ale pail down this evening for them to fill up this week when they press!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Thanks Woody, Yes I am from Perry County, I have all the stuff to make wine I just need a recipe to try. I just picked around 30lbs of fox grapes over the weekend. They are everywhere this year.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
pchunter1231 said:
Thanks Woody, Yes I am from Perry County, I have all the stuff to make wine I just need a recipe to try. I just picked around 30lbs of fox grapes over the weekend. They are everywhere this year.
This is Scotzin's recipe to make 2 gallons of Fox Grape Wine...

20 lbs fox grapes
1 gallon water
4 lb sugar
2 campden tablets
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzymes
2 grams wine yeast.

I basically use the 20 pounds and make 2 gallons out of that with just bit of water added to the grapes when I boil them off to juice them to keep them from burning to the bottom of the pot, maybe about 2-4 cups of water and come out with about 2 gallons out of 20 pounds of fox grapes....you can do it either way!

·
Banned
780 Posts
pchunter1231 said:
I would like to make some grape wine this but i dont know how. Any advice would be appreciated.
easiest way to make grape wine

Recipes

Yooper's Gallery

Default Welch's Grape Juice Wine
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wine yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made Apple wine from IGA frozen concentrate and rasberry honey, WOW what a combo,, Smooth as silk and only took 3 months.. big alcohol content 17%

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Anyone from the Harrisburg area looking for UnPasturized Apple Cider to make Hard Cider...Strites Orchard in Chambershill area has it....you have to take in your own ale pale with your name and phone number on it and how many gallons you want...$3.00 a gallon for unpasterized!
I dropped by ale pale off on Tuesday and they called last night to tell me they pressed cider and it is ready to be picked up, picking it up tomorrow morning and getting 5 gallons of hard cider started!

Going to get some Champagne Yeast and make it with that to give it a Good ABV Content so it has a Real Good Kick to it!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Shippinit said:
Woody, do you heat your cider at all before adding the yeast? I am definitely going to give it a shot next weekend.
Nope, no heating it...

I take 5 Campden tablets and crush them up and put in the bottom of the ale pale, take the ale pale with a note on the lid with my name and phone number and the amount of gallons I want filled into the it and take it to Strites Orchard.

They press the apples and fill my Ale Pale and call me, It normally ends up being 2 days till I can get back over there to get it.

When I get it home, I take another Ale Pale and add the Sugar, Acid Blend, Pectin and Yeast Nutriant and then crush up 5 more campden tablets and put into the other Ale Pale and then pour the Cider in (Your Ale Pale gets Pretty nasty from how they fill it at the orchard) and let it sit another day and then pitch the yeast!

The Campden Tablets in the bucket while it is at the Orchard Kills off the Natural Yeast that could cause problems and anything else that would kill the cultured yeast from working! Then the additional 5 campden tablets help sterilize the cider again after adding the sugar, pectin, yeast nutriant and acid blend into a new ale pale!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts