The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make there own windicator? I would like to but i don't know where i could get the unscented talc powder. Can anyone help me!?!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just grab some dried out Milk Weed Pods and put them in a zip lock. Those little pieces of mild weed float nicely on the smallest of breezes and really show you what the wind is doing.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
secret said:
baking soda works good!
That's what I use... or flour.

I use baking soda for everything hunting related... washing myself, my clothes, windicator, brushing my teeth, etc. It's so cheap, so old, yet just as effective if not more than the new stuff.

Long live 'ol Arm and Hammer

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
rlyle531 said:
I just grab some dried out Milk Weed Pods and put them in a zip lock. Those little pieces of mild weed float nicely on the smallest of breezes and really show you what the wind is doing.
Great idea!!

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
I use milk weeds as I find them in the woods, I also use baking soda in a squeezable container anything I can find in a drug store and remove the original continence.

I also tie a black thread on my top bow limb for a quick ready reference.

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
I carry plenty of thread sometimes encircle a scrape or crossing with thin black thread to determine if anything is passing through. The thread will be broken in the direction of travel.

Years ago before trail cam's I used timers with thread...only trouble is they don't tell you if it is a shootable buck.

When setting in my tree stand I watch a 4 point buck approach a scrape he would get to my timer string stop and look right at the device attached to a near by tree. I thought this is the smartest buck in the world. I watch him do the same thing 4 times then walk back the way he came.

I got down to investigate and discovered the thread was a bit heavy and before the thread would break it would pull tight and make a slight noise caused by the device as it moved under the pressure....so now I use very light thread for all my tricks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts