The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hunt in some nasty stuff but I sure hate this wind.I hear tomorrow morning is going to be just as windy with it dieing off in the afternoon.Was going out at 2 but I think 3 sounds better.It sure cuts right thru ya!Don't think the deer like it a whole lot either.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yeah but we have a choice to be in the wind or not, the deer don't.

nice to be human

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The west facing slopes were ridiculous this morning. I'd guess 35-40 mph gusts. The other side was calm but the snow is so crushy. Many many deer headed over to the calm wind despite the pressure of public land hunting.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Man you arent kidding. I made it out for a few hours---I had one of my trees snap at 20 feet and the top came crashing down not 15 yards away!! It was scary as heck ---had someone been under they would have been killed. The neighbor is already waititng for the free firewood!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I heard on the news tonight that today's weather (20-30 mph winds) is what we can expect on Saturday. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The last couple of days have been miserable for hunting in general; let alone flintlock hunting. Yesterday was just plain brutal. However, we couldn't believe the number of deer that were browsing around on the sun soaked eastern facing hills and in the hollows where the wind was calmed at 8:00 in the morning. We were able to get amazingly close to them when the wind was blowing loud enough to cover up our footsteps in the crunchy snow. It seemed as if you could fool their eyes and ears yesterday but they'd always wind you from the circling breeze. Stealthy hunting in snowy weather as this brings out the absolute best of any flintlock hunter and personally, I'd have it no other way!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hey brew, yesterday that's exactly what I kept telling myself. I hunt with fingerless gloves and it was tough!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Gore-tex is a wonderful thing. Stood in my parka and pants last evening with the wind beating on me and just my face was bothered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts