The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check the weather and it says favorable wind direction. I get out to hunt and it moves opposite. Seems to be a common occurrence this fall. Plum aggravatin!:mad:
It possibly shafted me tonight. Not completely sure.
Coyotes sure were singing pretty though. Seem more vocal this year than others.

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
A few mornings I experienced several wind changes during an all day set. I would see leaves blowing in one direction to immediately see the wind blow them in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
When I go out I try to find a favorable wind direction and call it. If the wind changes I don't change positions I just keep on calling. Not wasting a day because of the wind. Cats pay no attention to your smell, at least out here. I have killed them with my stinky smell blowing directly from me into their face.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thermal air currents will bust you as well as wind.
That’s what it reminds me of. Weather says wind out of the south, but it’s nearly calm with just enough here and there to keep it moving. With the mountains valleys ridges and typical rolling landscape of central Pa. it flows a little different with every change. And then still manages to change at inopportune times it seems.
I love being out on calm clear nights, except for not having a predictable consistent air flow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I stopped and checked a farm I haven’t hunted ever to see where I wanted to setup wind was blowing the worst straight towards the ridge. Came back to hunt 5 hours later and it changed to a cross wind.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
So far the winds up here have been predominantly SSW..no big deal. But we always check the wunderground stations map for multiple wind directions in a given area we plan to hunt. They are real time...and you can go through all the graphs ..temp..wind speed and direction ..humidity..etc

Ya..it doesn't help when it shifts while you are there..but.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts