The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Saw this on PM a few weeks ago. Neat little round. It will be interesting to see the ballistics on it in the near future, im sure it will be super flat. 3000fps with a 25gr pill sounds fun. Im interested to see the upfront cost of the weapon.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
less than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with a circle reticle. that there is some accurate shooting. i like the sounds of it. savage will probably jump on board with rifles early on. i wonder who else? does winchester even make a bolt action 22 anymore? actually i think the winchester ammo company is totally different than the winchester gun company anymore.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Velocity with 20gr bullet is supposed to be 3000 fps.The 25gr bullet is supposed to have a velocity of 2660.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
buckmasters243 said:
I see savage making the rifle.
They are making the rifle or thats what you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Interesting little bugger but IMO I would not rely on a rimfire for our intended purpose no mater how it is marketed

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Some of PA as well as other states do not have the luxury of hunting with CF ammo. If rimfire is the only rifle option, this looks exciting.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If it's that accurate @ 200 yards and that cheap to shoot with those numbers I would give it a shot. Plus it would probably be pretty quiet to shoot. I dont even hunt in restricted areas and this sounds interesting to me and I am a big 22 hornet fan but my hornet wont do 1/2" at 200 yards. Heck it wont do 1/2" group at 100 yards.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There is a video on youtube, if you just google winchester 17 super mag it should pop up, i like rimfires mostly just my 22wmr for the cost of ammo its nice thing to have.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Samuel said:
Interesting little bugger but IMO I would not rely on a rimfire for our intended purpose no mater how it is marketed
Sam: Why not? Do you think it will be underpowered?

I am very interested in it. I have been stashing away some money for a predator rifle and was pretty well set on a .22 Hornet or a .17 Hornet. Now I am leaning toward this 17 Super Mag. I like that it will be cheap to shoot and probably quiet too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just got my new flyer from Grice's and they are taking $50 deposits for a May 2013 delivery of the Savage Mdl. 17 B. Mag chambered in 17 Win. Super Mag. That mdl. sells for $299.95 22" sporter brl. accu trigger, 8 rd. rotary magazine and black synthetic stock.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Check with a few of your local shops, maybe they can make some calls and get one in when they become available.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Sam: Why not? Do you think it will be underpowered?

Have to admit the more I read about it the more I am rethinking my statement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts