The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received as a gift my second Winchester 94 Angle-Eject. Both have cross-bar safeties. The one I already had, a 16-inch barrel Trapper model, serial no. 646xxxx has "Winchester 94 AE Caliber .357" stamped on it, along with the New Haven, Conn. and Winchester proof steel in fine print. It makes no mention of Trapper.

The 94 I got yesterday is slightly older, serial no. 626xxxx, but does not have the model number stamped, just "Winchester Ranger 30-30".

I have a friend whose economy-grade Ranger Model 94AE is slightly newer yet than the two I own. The barrel makes no mention of Ranger, just stating "Winchester 94 AE caliber 30-30".

Does anyone know why Winchester wasn't more consistent on their newer lever actions?

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Might could be an indication of why USRAC and the M94, ceased to exist?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Winchester was wandering in the desert for years, not know what to do or how to sell guns. they changed marketing syles and models as each model failed to sell.

If the "Trapper" name didn't get sales, just change the name and add or drop an inch off the barrel...and BINGO with out any engineering or cost "a new Model is born".

Actually, the "trapper" name was an unsucessful try to repackage the 94. That an Commerative models seemed to be all Winchester knew.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they may have been desperate to keep a product profitable, but USRAC did sell at least half a million of them and this after adding the rebounding hammers and ugly cross-bolt safeties. As far as the Trapper designation, it is one of the most desired models, especially those involved with Cowboy action shooting.

It is interesting though that so many variations actually had no major differences between them.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
There was a time deep in Winchester's history, when they would literally make darn near just about anything someone wanted in a lever rifle. Barrel lengths, shapes and configurations. Magazine lengths. Butt plates, sights, take down models, etc.

Difference was, they were what customers wanted in variations, not what some pinhead in the the office thought would fly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts