The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Good deal hold onto it. It's worth a couple bucks.

Not the greatest lever action design. Non-adjustable trigger. Nice that it is mag feed. Many say it is not as accurate as desired. Prob one of the best looking lever guns. Some say it was made just for Pa hunters (
). You hear about good ones a bad ones like many other firearms.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I will never get rid of it. Belonged to my Grandfather and I just received it. Just sitting here looking it over and how much character this gun has means more to me than any new rifle will ever give me.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
BeaverRunBucks said:
well I will never get rid of it. Belonged to my Grandfather and I just received it. Just sitting here looking it over and how much character this gun has means more to me than any new rifle will ever give me.
Thats great to hear. I know how you feel. It's like a walk back in time to hold one of your relatives firearms!

We've got some 88 professionals here on HPA so I'm sure they will chime in any min and tell you more than I could.

I only have one 88 (pre-64). I mostly collect model 70's.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
They are handsome guns. Good feel to them too. A lot of older guys still hunt with them.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Easiest way to tell pre-64 on those is the checkering pattern. Cut checkering is pre 64, Oak leaf and scrolls is post 64, unless someone changed the stock. Fantastic guns, very accurate with a good trigger job, which is possible, but very tricky. Factory spec. as a non-adjustable trigger, but it can be done by the right gunsmith. I never felt the need to get the trigger done on any of mine, but have handled and shot some fine custom ones that would rival most bolt guns. Treasure it !

·
Registered
968 Posts
They are great guns. Many are just like yours, family treasures rather than true collector pieces. I inheritted one that was my father's. I take it out every once in a while to admire, clean it up and pur it back in the safe. . Someday I will hunt with it again. I actually bought another in .308 at a gun show that was a hunt gun not a collector item that ive take out a few times to hunt with.

The checkering does give it away as to the age pre vs post 64.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the '88 is a classy gun and the 243 would be a awesome deer package with a nice compact scope on it.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I have one in 308 and I love it, just took off flipover mounts and installed permanent mounts, mine has the redW with the oak leafs and acorns....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have a post 64 in .243. I think the pre-64s have a checkered stock, and the post 64s have acorn and oak leaves engraved in the stock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I got lucky today and was able to hunt a portion of 2B in Westmoreland County. I figured I'd give the flintlock the morning and try my grandfathers rifle out in the afternoon. Well 2 days after inheriting this fine rifle I was able to take a nice doe with it. This deer is up there with my first deer ever in my memory.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have all of them..The 358 shoots an honest inch but is too valuable to take out and get banged up in the woods...The 284 shoots 1 1/2", as does the 243...The 243 is the only one I hunt with.

·
Administrator
39,028 Posts
BeaverRunBucks said:
well I got lucky today and was able to hunt a portion of 2B in Westmoreland County. I figured I'd give the flintlock the morning and try my grandfathers rifle out in the afternoon. Well 2 days after inheriting this fine rifle I was able to take a nice doe with it. This deer is up there with my first deer ever in my memory.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'll be the dissenting voice. I had a post 64 in .308. The trigger was really bad. Was told by a reputable local gunsmith that it could not be adjusted. (Maybe he was wrong according to some folks here, I dunno.) Never could get it to shoot well. Tried free floating, and finally glass bedding before giving up on it. I sold in 1995 for about $400 and was happy to see it go. Bought a Rem 7600 in .270 and never looked back.

That having been said, the 88 was a beautiful rifle to look at. Mine, being the newer version, had the oak leaf and basket weave checkering, which was really nice. However, I can't fall in love with a nice looking gun if it doesn't shoot, and that was the case for me. I seem to be in the minority however.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts