The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newer model 70 chambered in 300wsm. I bought it soon after the short mags were introduced, first year or second, I can't remember. My problem is, the gun does not eject the spent brass. It will release them, and they will lay in the receiver. I called winchester and they told me "you have to pull the bolt back with a brisk motion." I recently returned from a hunting trip with the gun where after the shot, I had to turn the gun upside down to get the brass out so I could chamer another. I literally have to slam it back as fast as I can to get the brass to just fall out of the reciever. Winchester wants me to send the whole rifle back to them. Sounds like a big hassle to me. If it is going to be an easy fix for a smith, I'd rather just pay them instead of going though the ordeal of shipping a firearm. What you guys think? Is this normal for a model 70?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
sounds like the ejector has a problem. Bent? Broken?
Shipping a firearm is not that difficult, I'd send it back and have them fix it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
fixing the ejector is easy. I have done it on several guns and it only takes a couple of seconds to do. just don't loose the tiny ball bearing and spring behind it. usually if you just press down and slide it they will come right out.
before you go through that, check and make sure the brass isn't contacting the scope and retaining it. second are you reloading? make sure your loads aren't too hot as this will cause ejection problems.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Before you disassemble anything, spray Gun Scrubber on the ejector....I'm betting it's just gunked up a little....factory grease is often too heavily applied which gums things up...

After the season have your gunsmith disassemble it, clean and lube it....

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
winchesterbob said:
Before you disassemble anything, spray Gun Scrubber on the ejector....I'm betting it's just gunked up a little....factory grease is often too heavily applied which gums things up...

After the season have your gunsmith disassemble it, clean and lube it....
Take Bobs advise. He gave me the same suggestion and saved me what I thought was going to be an expensive repair on a pre64 model 70. Thanks again Bob 1

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brass is definately not contacting scope. It isn't jumping off the bolt at all. Just coming loose and laying in there. I am also not shooting reloads and never have out of that gun. Shooting Fusions now. I'll try the gun scrubber. I'm not worried about tearing the gun apart now because I'm done using it for this year. I only use it on my trips out west. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob. Luckily I have a can of gun scrubber and put it to use. I could see the gunk coming out from under the ejector after one spray. I let it soak, hit it again, let it dry, and oiled. Problem solved.

·
Registered
392 Posts
One last thing to check is the extractor. It's possible that if it is a few years old that it has the MIM (cast) extractor. They're junk and can loose tension. If it is a MIM one it is very easy to replace with a newer machined one. I've replaced two on the slightly older (New Haven) model 70's with ones made by Williams. The new mdel 70's made by FN have good extractors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts