The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I love the stuff. In fact, that’s the exact load I used through a Super Black Eagle 3 with a Primos Jellyhead choke this morning (same Iowa hunt with a wing bone call that I just posted about). Even in #6, it absolutely knocks them flat at surprising ranges because of how well it patterns.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the stuff. In fact, that’s the exact load I used through a Super Black Eagle 3 with a Primos Jellyhead choke this morning (same Iowa hunt with a wing bone call that I just posted about). Even in #6, it absolutely knocks them flat at surprising ranges because of how well it patterns.
I hear the TSS with #9 shot are incredible. I just can't justify spending that much on ammo. Happy with the Longbeards.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Same here. I have heard nothing but great things about the TSS shells, but it's hard to justify the extra cost when the Long Beards have been utterly reliable at all ranges I've used them. My longest kill with the Long Beard #6 you posted about is 52 yards. That was on a 2nd bird standing further out than my initial kill during last year's Nebraska opener. That load first dropped one bird hard just past 30 yards. Then I decided to burn my second tag when the other bird lollygagged after the first shot, hanging out at 52 yards. He went down without a whimper.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm shooting 3"longbeard #5's out of a mossberg 835, hevi shot .676 choke, and just put a simmons pro diamond scope. I just patterned it on Sunday and honestly I'm sure with this combo I could kill turkeys out to 60yds plus. Plan on trying to keep shots at 50yds or less though

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm shooting 3"longbeard #5's out of a mossberg 835, hevi shot .676 choke, and just put a simmons pro diamond scope. I just patterned it on Sunday and honestly I'm sure with this combo I could kill turkeys out to 60yds plus. Plan on trying to keep shots at 50yds or less though
With #5's and a good pattern, I have no doubt that you could kill a bird at 60 yard with that combination, but keeping it to 50 yards and in is definitely smart planning.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
What's your 50 yard pattern look like?

·
Registered
5,773 Posts

I'm wondering at what point (yardage) does a #5 lead pellet run out of the energy required to break a turkey's spine?

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
"To quickly take a turkey, I want a gel penetration of right at an inch and three quarters or so minimum. Some pellets will blow through, many won't, for a turkey's head and neck are a lot more variable than our ballistic gelatin can be. One and three quarters inches is adequate to do the job."

We can debate whether 1&3/4 inches of gel penetration is correct but the fact remains this is what most people feel is required to make an ethical and clean kill. According to the chart a #5 lead pellet runs out of enough energy to kill a turkey at about 45 yards. Doesn't matter if you can get a decent pattern after that distance.
Now a #4 lead pellet is much better at longer distantces, maybe out to 50 yards.

Reactions: fall gobbler

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I patterned both the Longbeard XR #4 and #6 shot at 35 yards. I have great patterns out of my Benelli SBE 1 using a Tru Glo Gobble Stopper. I also patterned some Hevi-Shot Triple blend in #5, #6, and #7. They patterned OK and will kill a turkey but I am sticking with my Longbeards. I also heard great things about TSS shot but I can't constitute spending that kind of dough on a box of 5 shells. I killed a gobbler at 65 yards a couple of years ago with #4 Longbeards.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

We can debate whether 1&3/4 inches of gel penetration is correct but the fact remains this is what most people feel is required to make an ethical and clean kill. According to the chart a #5 lead pellet runs out of enough energy to kill a turkey at about 45 yards. Doesn't matter if you can get a decent pattern after that distance.
Now a #4 lead pellet is much better at longer distantces, maybe out to 50 yards.

And most turkey loads are not traveling at that velocity. The fastest turkey loads are around 1200fps. I've seen some loads down to 1050fps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Would it stand to reason that #9 TSS, being generally the same mass but smaller, would penetrate better for the same velocity?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
just brought them
You're gonna love 'em. If you use a traditional scope with a load that heavy, make sure it has great eye relief and stay off of it a good bit because that puppy is gonna bark when it discharges!

On that note, scratch another one with the LongBeard XR #6 in the 2 oz./3.5" variety. It toppled a gobbler at 40 yards in Missouri today (hunt report posted in this forum). One look at the head after the hit tells you everything you need to know about pattern density or remaining energy with this load. With a 1st-generation .660" constriction Primos Jellyhead choke, there were plenty of good, hard strikes.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

I know you're throwing 2 1/8 oz out of that 3.5" mag, but there is an example of a slow load I'm talking about. Those slower shells stay together and pattern better, but pellet for pellet they are carrying less energy.
My old school winchesters were 1300fps. They would make your jaw hurt out of a 21" barrel 870 Express Magnum!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

I'm wondering at what point (yardage) does a #5 lead pellet run out of the energy required to break a turkey's spine?
A lot closer than most people would believe, and way before you run out of pattern density with those long beards. Just because the pattern holds up at distance doesn’t mean you should be shooting at birds that far. Unfortunately, most people don’t get that, or simply just don’t care. The problem is compounded even more with #6 shot. Even better pattern density because of the increase in pellets in the shell, but even less per pellet energy. Factor in the lower velocity of most heavy payload turkey shells (compared to the velocity in the cart posted above), and it gets even worse.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm not trying to incite a riot, but I have to say that a lot of conjecture resulting from energy metrics regarding what's required to kill a turkey at X yards simply doesn't add up in the field. As a guy who has hunted with various #6 lead shells for years, I hear all about I shouldn't be shooting past a certain prescribed range because the pellets are out of energy.

While I do NOT make it a point to take long shots, I can tell you for a fact that at an advertised 1200 fps, a 3.5" LongBeard XR #6 load has enough to kill a bird stone cold dead at 50+ yards. I found this out accidentally when light fog caused a false early morning rangefinder reading a couple of years back. In short, I shot a bird only to discover when the fog cleared a couple of hours later that the distance was actually just over 50 yards. That was the first time I defied a theoretical max distance that I was told for years on the internet was the "max effective distance" for a lead #6 in a turkey pattern. It turns out that the bird wasn't reading any of that stuff.

Last year, I killed the second in a pair of gobblers at 52 yards. I shot the first at just over 30 yards and quickly switched over to shoot his buddy that was trailing him. He was apparently bugging out faster than expected because a post-mortem laser ranging revealed another 50+ yard kill with that same #6 LongBeard XR load. That bird was flat to the ground before I came down off of recoil.

Bottom line: while the numbers can make for passable general guidelines, reality often defies what we think the data should mean.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Not sure what to tell ya Six Gun, it's difficult to argue with gel penetration and science/math but that's what your trying to do.
I will say I read the same drivel on other sites, hunters claiming to kill turkeys at 50+ yards with #6 lead shot. Maybe you need a new range finder?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts