The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the more i look at it in grices catalog the more i like it . i have not purchased a winchester in over 25 years so i have no clue what kind of product they are putitng out now lever guns any info would help. thanks.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I am a Winchester nut, there is nothing wrong with new production, but, If I was buying one I would find a good original, its an investment. They are also alot of fun to hunt with, although it takes some practice to get good with a 71, the recoil is stout.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Mine kicks for sure...Will be taking it on its annual hunt this Saturday..The Winchester Model 71 is probably the nicest factory rifle ever to come out of a box.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i like the new ones, the browning version and the older ones. the 348 is a beast. the only reason i don't snag one is because its out of my price range for an open sighted gun. if i am going to spend that kind of money i want to be able to scope it and use it for hunting. my old open sight guns are fun to hunt with but anymore it is getting harder and harder to see the sights. but that said, i was real tempted at the last gun show when i saw an original 71 in decent shape for $1100 and the guy said "make me an offer".

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
You can by drilling and tapping it for a side mount, but to many this would be sacrilage..At the very least it would drastically reduce the collector value of the gun...My Model 71 is almost mint, but was drilled and tapped at one time...Who cares?...Not selling it anyway!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
A scope on a 71 looks like plastic hubcaps on a 59 Cadillac! A bolt peep is ideal for those monsters!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Agreed.....the bolts on the repros are not machined for a bolt peep....

My prewar Deluxe carbine wears a factory bolt peep which really helps these old eyes....

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Years ago, by Browning, via whoever owned the name Winchester at the time. They have not sold particularly well, which is to be expected, but its great to have the chance to own a "new" one. I will stick with my "old" ones.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Not sure Bob if they are in the new line-up, but there are plenty of NIB ones for sale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts