The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 26 gun Winchester gun safe 3 weeks ago and the digital lock died on Sunday when I got home from fishing, it was fine on fri when I got my handgun out, we were supposed to di some turkey hunting this week but all guns and license are in safe, Called winchester and it took 2 days to get anyone to help me, and they won't next day air a new one out so I can get to the mtns. I WOULD STAY AWAY From all these safes as customer service is terrible, now I got a safe that I'm afraid to lock once I get it open, WHAT A WASTE OF 800.00 !!!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
On my Liberty I can change the battery from the outside when it dies. The safe can then be opened with the same code... winchesters don't do this???

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have 3 of the exact same safes. They are older but I'm sure the locks are exactly the same. No problems yet. As ruffedg said above,when it dies I just change the battery and it can be opened with the same code. Knock on wood. Hopefully mine stays problem free, and I hope you get your problem resolved.

·
Registered
715 Posts
RobOz said:
That is why my two have the old Sargent & Greenleaf mechanical comb o locks.
Ditto, I read a long time ago 95% of all lock issues are with electronic locks. I'll stick with the old fashion way

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
most electronic locks are supposed to work normally after replacing the battery.
another item to check if you are having problems is the handle, make sure the handle is NOT turned left or right but centered as the locking lugs will rub inside the lock & will not release the latch for the handle to move when the battery is low.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tried the battery while i had Winchester on the phone,NO GOOD,pad is DEAD!!! called today to make sure they sent it and they couldn't find the tracking info,so they're not sure if it got put in the mail,NEVER AGAIN will i buy Winchester ANYTHING!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
With electronic locks it is not a matter of "if" but "when" something goes wrong.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im installing a mechanical lock as soon as i get the safe open,recieved wrong part today ,now all of a sudden they CAN next day air one too me.Locksmith coming in next week to do the switch over,NEVER buy a safe with electronic lock!!!!!!

·
Registered
25,840 Posts
Prefer mechanical over electronics every time, when it comes to that sort of thing.

Same reason I like revolvers over semis: Fewer bells'n whistles, less chance of aggravation for an old buzzard that's already prone to being aggravated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts