The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old, hand-me-down M94 that I loved years ago, Until.......

It slid down the wall, landed with a crash and broke the Lyman 56 on the receiver.

It's kind of sat, unused and unloved for several years. I tried another peep, but it shoots low if I recall correctly even at full adjustment.

So, assuming this were YOUR gun and you wanted to bring it back to shooting form, would you:

A. Have a new front sight installed to bring impact to Point of aim?

B. Break out the dollars and buy a Lyman 56 and bring it back to original condition?

Currently, I'm leaning towards B.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I've seen a bunch on fleabay. I'll probably buy one, soon.

Got an 11 year old that want to shoot a deer this fall and I'm sure that his great-grandfather would smile to see yet another generation take a deer with that rifle...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, another question on this....

I'm not finding a good 56a sight on eBay right now.. Yeah, I know, wait 5 minutes, right?

Anyway, finding a lot of 66a sights.

Is there a significant difference between the two?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RonM said:
Why does it need to be a Lyman? Just preference?
Well, I can't make it hit zero with the Williams that is currently on it.

Lyman is the sight my grandfather put on it, so maybe a bit of nostalgia, but I'm not dead-set on a Lyman.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The scope of your choice on offset mounts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My side mount scope had screws that came with, that replace the ones in the receiver. But you would need to find a scope that has alot of adjustment, i had to shim mine pretty good to hit paper and lock tight. With a side mount scope you are going to want to turn the scope so you have no windage or elevation knobs in the way of ejecting caseing, so it gets a little tricky sighting in the scope.

I have the scope very well secured on the scope mount that i can take it off and put my Williams peep back on for higher dense woods. Ive alwasys like the Williams peep rather than Lyman. but an opinion is an opinion.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I picked up a 94 last year in 30-30 never had one and just wanted a pre64. I was able to shoot it open sights so well that is how im going to use it this year. Just wanted some traditional to carry a few days. The open sights seemed to be a pretty good set up 60 yards or less sure dont need a scope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts