The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Winchester 101 and the tubes are bored Skeet & Skeet. Now and then I can see on GunBroker that someone will be selling a 101 forend and barrels that are choked Mod & Full or some other combination. My question is - can I expect to be able to mount another barrel set on my 101 reciever group and expect it to function and function safely or do I need gunsmith intervention to check out the fit?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Let me begin with a disclaimer---I'm talken out of my butt---but at least now you know that

Here is what I do know, I have a Parker BHE with two sets of barrels. The gun was shipped from the factory with only one set. The second set which are grouse barrels were bought latter. The second set has a forehand with it and serial numbers match. That barrels go on the gun seemingly perfectly, the gun closes up and everything looks perfect---except where the rib extension meets the fence there is a slight vertical misalignment. That would not happen if those barrels had been fitted at the factory.

So--what does that have to do with your question--maybe nothing---but then again maybe it does.

That Winchester was made in Japan in a fairly modern factory and I would expect they had the capability to hold very close dimensional tolerance. However, the fit of a set of barrels is dependent on the dimensions of two separate parts that are produced individually--and it does not take much dimensional variation to make a perfect fit imperfect in this case.

It is perfectly plausible to me that even on those guns the final fitting was done by hand.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
duckman76 said:
They should swap out just fine. The older skeet guns were 4 barrel sets before tube sets were around.
yeah, but they were made specifically for one individual break action.

The 101 was made for a long time, and I wouldn't be so sure any 101 barrel will fit any 101 action.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
JimsDad,

might be safer just to send your barrel to Briley or someone and have them install choke tubes.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Know what John Henry? I was athinkin' the same thing myownself..... Isn't there a gunsmith in Schwenksville that does this kind of work? I can not recall his name just now.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
There might be, I am not familiar with that area. But I know Briley does quality work. They made my ultralight tube set for my skeet gun.

And they do it all the time, so they have a better experience base to draw from, as opposed to a small gunsmith who might do it once in a blue moon.

Looks like it costs about $400.

http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I think I would take an old 101 compared to a new 101. Are the new ones made by the same companies that made Remington's Peerless, etc? They were never successful shotguns.

An older 101 is a very well made shotgun!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
jim stemler said:
i know the old ones were made by mirkuro,dont know about the new ones.
Is that who made my Diamond Grade trap gun? It was about a 1985 gun. Traded it for my Browning Specail Sporting in 1994.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
John Henry said:
jim stemler said:
i know the old ones were made by mirkuro,dont know about the new ones.
Is that who made my Diamond Grade trap gun? It was about a 1985 gun. Traded it for my Browning Specail Sporting in 1994.
I read a review on the new ones a few months ago and it seems to me they are being made by FN in Belgium--but don't hold me to that

Your Diamond John I believe was made in Japan and they were discontinued in 1986 and 87 depending on model.

I have two Browning Citoris, one field grade and one grade VI and a Winchester Grand European in 12 and 7 X 57 all made by Miroku. I also have two Belgium Brownings, my BT-99 and a Diana Grade Superposed. While not close to the value of the Belgium guns the quality of them certainly is.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I got to tell you, that Diamand Grade was a pretty gun, but it shot like crap. Even let the other guys at the club shoot it, and it wasn't good for them, either. They fired some shotshell tracers (pretty neat!) and they were always way low and left, even with a proper sight picture.

On a pattern board, it wasn't quite as bad, but still not where it belonged.

Was happy to trade it on the Browning Special Sporting. I was shooting all Skeet at the time anyway, and the Diamond was a Trap gun.

A year later I had Briley make sub-gauge tubes for it, and I love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts