The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice 2009 tundra, 4x4, 35,000 miles, great condition. Now I want to do some upgrades to make is off road capable for some Maine remote hunting trips, but still have good highway use.
Looking for a winch/bumper setup, maybe a 2in lift for some clearance. Any of you motor heads have any feedback

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Heard good things about Badlands winch from Harbor Freight, Make sure you have a big enough alternator and battery! "Youtube" might help on your set up

·
Registered
804 Posts
Can't go wrong with Warn winches. They usually recommend a winch 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle it's going on

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll look into a 4x4 shop by me see what I'll need how much it cost etc. I got stuck years ago in maine, 18 miles from the oxbow check in gate, horrible feeling when hunting solo, even though full tank of gas, case of water in truck, some food, I just wanted to get the ---- out of there, I did eventually, but rolled back at cabin 10 pm

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Whatever brand you choose, when picking a size, look at how it’s rated. It will be either single or double line pull. If it is rated say 8000# double line pull(out, through a pulley and back) the single line rating will be around half. I think most are rated at the single line capacity now but I’ve seen it in the past.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All the winches are about the same I have a Mile Maker on my car trailer and a Ramsey for the truck both are around 10 years old and have served me well . My brother has a smittybilt . All work for what we do . If you are planning to hard core winching go with Warn .Just built way better . As others have said go at least 1 1/2 times what your truck weight . The rating is from the first rap on spool . So as the wire rope stacks up the rating goes down.

A lot of great looking bumpers for the Toyota . Did you consider a receiver mount ? That way it can be used front or back . Plus you are not hauling that weight when not needed. I keep mine in my tool box out of the elements . When needed get it out and start winching.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I used Warn and Ramsey. I'd recommend either. I also used a receiver hitch and a bumper mount. If I was to put a winch setup on my 4 Runner today I'd go with a received hitch setup. Sometimes you want to go back where you came from. Seriously sometimes you cannot go forward and the receiver setup gives you the option to back out.

One other recommendation….watch a few YouTube videos about how to use a winch. You need to know what your doing or you could get hurt or damage your vehicle. There is a little more to it than tying a cable to a tree.

Reactions: Decktech

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Go with a Warn or some other major brand. I would not trust a discount brand. Cheaper isn't cheaper when it doesn't work when you need it. I have no plans for heavy duty for the winch on my ATV but I put a Warn on it, I would rather be over powered than under powered.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Adding my 2 cents

Adding a winch is great idea. I got stuck at my camp one time by myself and was not fun. I did put a winch on after that episode. Like others have said the knock off brands get good reviews, I just would make sure you run the winch periodically to make sure it is working okay. Another factor you also have to consider is the truck's battery, you will probably have to upgrade this to a deep cycle battery so it will handle the load of the winch. The most expensive winch won't help if you don't address all your needs to operate a winch on your truck. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts