The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win. 88 284

Made my weekly visit to my friends gun shop and seen such a neat gun. he just bought it today and didnt have it on the shelf yet but it was a 88 in a 284. The gun looked like it spent most of its life in a gun cabinet excellant condition. I was impressed with the checkering on it. He didnt have it priced yet and was kind of busy wondering what something like this would bring.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Re: Win. 88 284

Last one I saw at an auction in that flavor, fetched around $700. Mint condition, Vari X Leupold, but was missing the magazine. Guessing that was about 3 or 4 years ago?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

The .284 was introduced in the 88 in 1963. The first year guns with cut checkering ( not the oak leaves/basket weave impressed checkering) bring a premium. $1200 and up. If your buddy has a cut checkered .284 its a rare gun, jump on it right now or it will be gone before you blink. ( you can PM me if you don't want it, I could drive there tonight ! HA HA HA ! ) Seriously, if you can buy it, do so.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

Model 88's in 284 are always in demand.

As always ,condition means everything...If the rifle has the pressed acorn & oakleaf checkering(post-64), and is,say, 95%, it will easily bring $800-$900...A first year 284 in the same condition could bring nearly $1500 or so....I have both and my post 64 is unfired.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

47studebaker said:
I know a guy looking for one and a 358. most he told me about have been priced at over a $K some even more.
For 1K, I will buy every one I can get...Going prices on nice (95% and up) Model 88's in 358 are $3000 or more.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

A few years ago a gunshop somewhere in PA had two NIB
Winchester M88s in 358 Win caliber. I forget what they
sold for, but it was pretty high.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Was at a gun auction just today. There was a post-64 there in 284 with a repaired crack in the stock that was very noticeable.It also had some minor marks in the bluing. It sold for $1200

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

If you were at a "private" auction, that would not surprise me. I was at a "house sale" about 3 years ago that included about 20 long arms. One of 'em was a Win. Model 88 in .308.

Well, I looked at it and it had not seen cleaning solvent in 10 or more years, the original stock had been replaced by some hack chunk of wood.

There were about 20 guys there bidding on these guns and when it was all said 'n done, this Mod 88 went for $1,200!!!

You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! At that time, you could buy a pristine condition one from the Cabela's gun library for $700 to $800. That was the last "auction fever" gun sale I wasted my time going to.

SW

·
Registered
25,487 Posts

That was the last "auction fever" gun sale I wasted my time going to.
It happens. Several years ago I went to a farm auction, but didn't get the piece of equipment I'd gone for, so mosied on up the house to see what was going on there (two separate auctioneers at work).

Lots of guns in the living room, mostly M94s and M12s, a few other long guns. One was a pretty nice M722 Rem in 257 Roberts and not one person was paying any attention to it. All were fondlin' assorted Winchesters. So I stuck around.

Not long before they got to the guns, a guy showed up I hadn't seen for some time, said he was interested in The Bob, so I told him to go fer it. He wanted to know what I thought it would fetch, said maybe $400 or a bit more and left.

Months later when I saw him again, he said two guys got to fighting over it and the winner paid over $650, IIRC.

Stuff happens and sometimes it makes little sense?

Once saw a guy I know pay hundreds of dollars for a M97 Win. 12ga, that had zero metal finish left on. Far beyond what it was worth, but he wanted it and so did a few others. It had been his grandpap's shotgun, he had started out hunting with it as a kid and he wasn't leaving without it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

When I was a kid, I had a beat up Model 88 (308) without a clip that I bought off of some guy at work..I decided to sell it because I wanted to buy something else, so I put an add in the paper..As soon as the add went in, the phone began to ring, and while I was at work, two guys came to look at it and my mom said that they actually got into a fist fight out in front of our house over who got there first!...Mom almost had a nevous breakdown and told me never to put another gun in the paper while I lived there !

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

It was a regular gun auction.There were about 125 guns there and most of them did more money than what you could buy them for on gunbroker. A buddy and myself kinda make it a hobby as we look up all the guns listed on gunbroker, auctionarms,and gunsamerica.T this particular auctiojn house they usually have 3 or 4 gun auctions a year and we usually do pretty well,but not this sale.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

guess mom showed you who was boss lol I think autioners must indimadate people i heard amny storeies like this with guns. i went to my first and last equiptment aution a few years ago. A local cont. retired and couldnt sell his business so he had an auction. Very smart on his part skid loaders and 1 ton dump trucks went so high it was unreal. i actually seen people pay more for rakes and shovels than if they went and bought new. If i was ever to close shop i will definity go the auction route.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

I always find it amusing at the sales when two guys bid a half box of shotgun shells up to fifteen bucks, when you could stop at Wally World on the way home and get all 25 for $7.99.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Just saw a BEAT Mossberg 500 12 ga with a Poly Choke go for $315 at an auction today...

·
Registered
25,487 Posts

People are collecting Poly Chokes now, maybe?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts