The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I care all that much but I think that he might make Pope and Young and so I am getting him scored when 60 days are up on the 15th.

Any thoughts on possible score? He’s 22 1/2” wide outside but I never took another measurement on him before dropping him off at the taxidermist.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's going to be close I have him right in that 125-130 range gross. I'd say 128ish gross and who cares about nets. Looks pretty symmetrical, he has a chance. Nice buck.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I agree with what everyone else is saying...close, but I don't think he has the point length. Those eight points need loooong points to make the books.

Heck of a nice buck. I hope you do make it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Awesome buck!! Don't be disappointed if he doesn't make it!! Great job getting it done with the bow!

This buck grossed 130". Lacks spread (15") but has good main beams (22"+), tine length is decent, mass is ok and symmetry was also good. I don't have the sheet in front of me but I believe he netted 126-127". I'm an amateur scorer for sure so don't take that to the bank!! I tried being conservative because of that, so, who know's. My brother in-law who has measured deer in the past had him grossing at 132". That 2" makes a big difference.

Your buck has the spread, I'm not sure on beam length but it looks good. Overall tine length looks marginal. Looks like he will score pretty evenly but a hair short. I hope I'm wrong and the pictures are deceiving.

Hate judging your buck like that because he's certainly a well earned trophy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Awesome buck!! Don't be disappointed if he doesn't make it!! Great job getting it done with the bow!

This buck grossed 130". Lacks spread (15") but has good main beams (22"+), tine length is decent, mass is ok and symmetry was also good. I don't have the sheet in front of me but I believe he netted 126-127". I'm an amateur scorer for sure so don't take that to the bank!! I tried being conservative because of that, so, who know's. My brother in-law who has measured deer in the past had him grossing at 132". That 2" makes a big difference.

Your buck has the spread, I'm not sure on beam length but it looks good. Overall tine length looks marginal. Looks like he will score pretty evenly but a hair short. I hope I'm wrong and the pictures are deceiving.

Hate judging your buck like that because he's certainly a well earned trophy.
Nice buck!

Don’t worry about “judging” my buck. I’m happy as can be with him and really could care less what he scores. I just thought that he might have a chance of making P&Y and that would be pretty cool. I have several in the 110”-115” range and he is my best to date.

This is another pic from a little different perspective. I’m 6’4” and 240 lbs by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Gorgeous buck !!! CONGRATS !!!

Pics can fool ya. My gut instinct is he's gonna come up a whisker short of netting P&Y.

That being said...……. I'd have to have a pretty serious discussion with myself before I'd, personally, let him walk.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice pictures and looks like a big body on him! Great buck! He’s probably 120ish but In my opinion scores can be overrated at times. Don't get me wrong, I like big bucks but I really like the story, the where, what property, the how, the overall circumstances, and the Challenge of the hunt. Congratulations on your best buck to date! I’m sure you will shoot a bigger one some day soon. Did you have any history with him? How old do you think he was?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've never been into scoring a deer, I'm an equal oppurtunity hunter, first come, first shot, but I DO know a great looking deer when I see one! Doesn't matter what the score is, THAT is a deer for the wall. Congradulations!!!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Nice pictures and looks like a big body on him! Great buck! He’s probably 120ish but In my opinion scores can be overrated at times. Don't get me wrong, I like big bucks but I really like the story, the where, what property, the how, the overall circumstances, and the Challenge of the hunt. Congratulations on your best buck to date! I’m sure you will shoot a bigger one some day soon. Did you have any history with him? How old do you think he was?

^^^^^This is what matters. I was thinking 120-ish myself. I have shot a buck I have history with each of the last 4 years and it is the journey that matters to me. It is easy to say "he could have used another year" about nearly every buck out there, I couldn't pass one that was that wide, tall tines or not. I've got 2 that were 21+ outside but that is WIDE, very nice buck. Congrats!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
First of all, that's a really nice buck!!!! Reminds me of the 8 point in my profile pic. Mine scored 108 5/8. Yours is wider than mine, and by virtue of that, the main beams are longer as well. I'm suspecting he'll be around 120 give or take a couple of points either way. Did you rough score him yourself? Its a fun exercise.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Numbers on paper, nothing more.

That's a very nice buck, not many out there with that kind of spread. The instant I saw him I'd have been reaching for my bow and gettin' all jittery.

As far as any kind of record book, I've never entered one. I do remember the first one I shot that would have made p&y, and it was kind of a milestone at that time. After it sunk in, being #10,000 on a list of 12,000 really didn't seem like much so I didn't bother. Knowing he'd have made it was enough for me.

Congrats, that's a fine buck. Looking at that last picture and knowing how big you are, he's a giant. Did you weigh him?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts