The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems their may or may not be some concern as the season draws near as the actual status of Crosby and his concussion.

<a href="http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/27694626/31326430" target="_blank">"The thing for me and for the organization is the bigger picture with Sidney Crosby. We want to make sure Sid is 100 percent cleared & ready to play when he does come back. He's not going to be pushed."

</a>

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Introduce him to Advil and get him on the ice. Or send him to the Gary Roberts School of Manliness, where your instructor is a man who overcame a broken neck to become a 50 goal scorer, and at 41 years of age pummeled Ben Eager and Andy Sutton in the same week.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
They're not going to tell anybody where he is at. If Malkin returns healthy for the start of the season, Crosby can take his time returning. Although, I am of the opinion that if he's not ready to go now, he never will be. For it to take this long to recover from the 2 hits he took is a bit much. That second one wasn't that bad. He's just gonna have to learn how to play with a little discomfort.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
The only way to know if he's recovered is to put him out there and let him take a hit. It's a risk, but its the only way. And they need to make sure that anyone on the other team who even considers laying a finger on him spends the night at Allegheny General--just like the Oilers did for Gretzky. If the NHL won't step in, the Pens will have to keep the ice safe themselves. As far as Malkin, I have given up on thinking he has what it takes to carry a team on his shoulders.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Sadly I believe that we will never see the real Sidney Crosby again. While I hope that I am wrong, I think that something is still amiss and he may never fully recover. It is doubly hard to swallow after the season he was having last year. He seemed to have finally turned into an ultra elite, superstar that could lift his whole team up and take over games.

At the very least I think you will see a very tentative Crosby out there afraid to grind the way he used to. You can bet that other teams will be targeting him big time and looking to get an "accidental" elbow into his mellon.

The off season workout videos that I have seen of Crosby and Malkin are promising but anyone can look good stick handling around inanimate objects and skating on open ice with nobody around.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Why would anyone have to get an elbow up into Crosby? A good clean hit against the boards Is a cause for concern.
Until he gets 10-12 games in I am not sure anyone knows what to expect.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a good situation to be in, that's for sure.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I think it has to do more with it being a slow time for hockey news.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
Sadly I believe that we will never see the real Sidney Crosby again. While I hope that I am wrong, I think that something is still amiss and he may never fully recover. It is doubly hard to swallow after the season he was having last year. He seemed to have finally turned into an ultra elite, superstar that could lift his whole team up and take over games.

At the very least I think you will see a very tentative Crosby out there afraid to grind the way he used to. You can bet that other teams will be targeting him big time and looking to get an "accidental" elbow into his mellon.

The off season workout videos that I have seen of Crosby and Malkin are promising but anyone can look good stick handling around inanimate objects and skating on open ice with nobody around.
Wow... way to have some faith in your star player! Crosby will be fine. He was wise to take his time in coming back and he will again be the dominant player he has always been. If the Flyers new system doesn't take like Holmgren thinks it will, the Pens will run away with the division. Holmgren has done it before with a young team, hopefully they switch into the defensive team they are designing themselves into. It will be a fun year to say the least! Can't wait to watch some Flyer hockey real soon!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
blindtiger said:
TraskOutdoors said:

Wow... way to have some faith in your star player! Crosby will be fine. He was wise to take his time in coming back and he will again be the dominant player he has always been. If the Flyers new system doesn't take like Holmgren thinks it will, the Pens will run away with the division. Holmgren has done it before with a young team, hopefully they switch into the defensive team they are designing themselves into. It will be a fun year to say the least! Can't wait to watch some Flyer hockey real soon!
I'm at a loss for words! I never thought I'd ever see those kind of words coming from you!

You're right though! He'll be fine. He isn't cleared for contact yet because they don't do contact workouts in the off season I imagine.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
For goodness sakes, sombody give him a tylenol, a midol and a hug and get back out there, he should have been there for the playoffs at the very least. If he's not ready and itching to get back on the ice by now then he's got bigger issues.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
bird_dog_pa said:
Why would anyone have to get an elbow up into Crosby? A good clean hit against the boards Is a cause for concern.
Until he gets 10-12 games in I am not sure anyone knows what to expect.
I have to agree.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
He should at least want to be out there. That was the discussion toward the end of the season. Why wasnt crosby fighting for his own cause and pushing the limits of his doctors orders? If he's scared to get hit anymore then thats the real issue here.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
because he has a concussion. has anyone been following the effects of concussions that last 10 years or so and how they are rightfully treated. Heck steeler fans should know better, didn't they have a linemen living on the streets due to brain injury from his playing days who either killed himself or died on the streets?? Keystonepaul

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
and I guess it would be the first time a player had the drive and determination to play through an injury. crosby needs something more than the nhl playoffs to get motivated to get back on the ice? Ian Laperriere got hit in the freaking face with a slapshot (twice) in the 2009-10 season. he got hit once in the first round of the playoffs. he had a concussion too and guess what, he played in the 3rd round. and its not even like the pigeons had another player to carry the team with crosby out. thats some captain you guys got over there...8 months after the hit and you're questioning if he'll even play the next season!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The penguin organization didn't want him to play last year unless he was completely healthy. The weren't healthy enough even with him to go to the Stanley Cup Finals anyway. Also with the new rules with concussions lobbying the doctors doesn't do any good anyway. The doctors have to clear you to play.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
the nhl didn't change its concussion policy till 2 months after crosbys hit and I'm fairly positive it doesn't include mandatory doctor clearance to play. either way, my point is that theres probably hundreds of seperate concussions any given season and the large majority of players get back on the ice. they were initially calling crosbys concussion a "minor concussion". if lappy can get hit in the face with a puck, lose 7 teeth and sustain a concussion and still play in the same playoffs, I don't think its too much to expect a captain and the "best player in the world" to take an advil and get back on the ice.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts