The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my best efforts to fence out mammals and dust against insects, some cabbage whites and one particularly industrious groundhog (RIP) did significant damage to some of my cabbages. I've since hit the cabbages with Sevin in hopes of ending the reign of Lepidoptera and that woodchuck met eternity this morning. Will my cabbages grow back, or should I rip them out and plant something else there? Should I rip off the damaged leaves?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've left plants in after cutting the main head, and they sprout a bunch of small heads. I've eaten cole slaw, halushka, and halupki casserole this week. I'm up to my ears in cabbage, and up to 6 groundhogs.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
dust them with lime... just keep at it after it rains on them....should keep any other critters that come long and take the place of that ground hog from eating your plants and giving them time to regrow heads!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just walked down to the garden, unarmed out of a false sense of security, only to find a much smaller groundhog scrambling out from amongst the cabbage and cauliflower and right under a spot of loose fence wire. Guess I need to reset that box trap. I don't even know how many of them I've killed this year.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Kill em' all......I have some rabbits that may meet the metal trap and be set free down the road......but come rabbit season, I may have to see how well the bow is shooting......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts