The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to start a small apple orchard for a couple years. Many of the dwarf apple trees have died. At first I thought the walnut trees were killing the dwarfs. Now I think it might have been the Voles eating the roots. I have also moved any remaining trees away from the walnut trees.

I have one old apple tree left in a old pasture. It is surrounded by walnut trees. I trimmed off all the suckers and dead branches, fertilized with some spikes and even beat it with a newspaper some. The apple tree has continued to have some branches die off. No apple production this year.

Is it possible for the walnut trees to kill off the apple trees? It hurt enough to see the new trees die off but I can't stand seeing the old apple tree die slowly.

Also, any suggestions?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If you have enough walnuts, cut some of them down that are close to your orchard. Paint the stumps with Roundup to kill the root systems.

The roots, I believe, produce toxins to other plants. You end up with a monoculture of walnuts.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
you wont ever grow apples if theres not another tree to fertilize it? is there?

·
Registered
36,574 Posts
All parts of a walnut tree produce a toxic chemical called juglone which will kill most other plants that are planted under or near these trees. I found this out awhile back when I planted tomatoe plants near a walnut tree. Apple trees are very sensitive to this chemical.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The older apple tree had a few apples last year. Not many. This year nothing. There's two more older trees around 100 to 150 yards away. The neighbor also has a couple older trees scattered around. The one apple tree about 100 yards away is just a shell of a tree and it still grows.

I planted 6 or 7 dwarf apple trees a couple years ago. I have one left now. I thought part of the problem was from voles. I pulled one dead tree up to find no root system left. Although the dwarf trees closest to the walnuts did die first.

The pasture is filled with walnut trees. I guess it's time to get the chainsaw out. The old apple tree is surrounded by walnut trees. New walnut trees seem to pop up every year.

Is there a safe distance from walnut trees?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I don't have apples this year either, but that is a result of the freeze in May.

Cut many of those walnuts down and treat the stumps. You won't have anything but walnuts, if you don't.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
BTW, don't plant dwarf trees, plant both semi dwarf and standard apple trees.

The lack of root system may simply mean it rotted away when it died. Voles may have had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have some old apple trees on my place that seem to bear heavy every other year. This year there are very few apples.
Last year there were loads of them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spring freeze did ruin the grapes this year.

I'm going to rethink the whole apple orchard thing.

I do have a lot of moles and voles. Tunnels here and there. More recently they have been intruding into a food plot. My GSP was barking at something the other day. I just happened to see the earth move so I gave it a stomp. One less thing for the GSP to bark at.

·
Registered
36,574 Posts
Even if you cut the tree down and kill the stump, the dead roots can still give off juglone for afew years. About 100 feet or more would be a safe distance to plant something from a walnut tree. Also, rake up any leaves in the fall that may be blown or fall into your fruit tree areas or garden areas. The leaves also contain this toxic chemical and it will leech into your soil killing other plants. Alot of people can't understand why something is dieing or doing poorly even though it's a good distance from the tree; they forget about the leaves' toxicity.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have walnut and apple trees growing near each other.

No problems whatsoever but the apple trees were long established before the black walnuts were. Also I have a peach tree in the same area but again the peach has been there for years.

Also Tree-Of-Heaven will grow great around black walnuts and so will yellow poplar and black locust.

Those tree species seem not to be affected by black walnuts in the woods.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Now that you mention it... I was wondering why this one apple tree I planted last year was doing so poorly compared to the others I planted. It's about 3' from the walnut tree.
Do think if I kill the Walnut tree the apple tree will come back?
The apple tree did not completely die just looks terrible compared to the others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts