The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it too much to expect a quality crossbow with a good warranty to last like an old model 70 would ? I am a down to 2 bows, The Parker Tornado and the Tenpoint Defender CLS. If you leave the price out of it which will hold up long term ?

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Nothing that is man made will last forever, well unless you’re talking about our national debt.

I would expect something that was quality product and claiming to have a lifetime warranty to last 20 years, or at least be able to get parts and repair for that long.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Birch is correct. But like the regular compound bows. The warranty is only as good as long as the company is in business.

If you are young and like the bow; you might want to buy a extra set of limbs, and a cable. People will always make a string for you IF you have the old one to get length and number/size of threads. With an extra set of limbs and a cable....it will outlast you.

Bows have been sucker bait, just like golf clubs. they constantly promote some thing new to make people abandon their purchase of 4-5 years ago. So x-bows will outlast most hunters desire to use them. Just like the used regular compound bow prices are dropping like a rock now that x-bows are the rage.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I would hate to say which one would last longer. Ten Point has a reputation for building quality crossbows. Parker is on it's way to building a great reputation and they have the customer service to back it up.(I've never had to wait while on "hold" and have always been greeted by friendly, helpful people) That being said, one company has a 5 year warranty on limbs and the scope.
If it were me, I'd pick the one that feels the best when I'm shooting it. For me, that is the Parker Tornado.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: Will a bow with a lifetime warranty last fore

I bought a Parker Cyclone this past summer. I bought it from an internet dealer who I thought was in Idaho. This companies prices were $100. under list. I actually bought a Tornado first but after a month of waiting only to find they were out of stock they sold me a cyclone for the same price. I do like the bow but it is a little heavier than I like. Anyway the third night out with it I heard a loud crack and one of the limbs just split. I called Parker the next day, got a real person right away and the first thing he said was "Lets find a way to get you back in the woods as fast as we can" He tried to find a dealer close to me that had limbs on another bow and he was going to have them swap with me and send new limbs to the dealer to put on the bow he had in stock. It didn't work out but long story short I was only out of the woods 2 days. They overnighted limbs to a dealer and he had me up and going in no time. I can' say enough about Parker customer service.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I want one with the least problems. but it is as important to have them fixed with a smile.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

I have a Parker Tornando and I love it as well...But here is one thing that every new owner of a "compound style " crossbow needs to know...String servings take a beating and must be replaced...How often?..Perhaps every few hundred shots, I haven't replaced mine yet, but then I haven't shot my bow a whole lot...But it means an inconvenient trip to the bow shop or you must buy a bow vice, plus learn the job yourself...Bow vices are not cheap.
I tend to think that a lot of average hunters won't be too crazy about doing either...

Looking back, if I were to do it all over, perhaps I would have gone with an Excalibur recurve type bow, where I could just start right out with ,say, five new strings and then take them all to a shop to get re-served after they all have gone bad.

It's just something to think about..

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

The Tornado we had tested last summer lasted for 600 shots on the first serving. We re-served the end servings and center serving and shot another 600 shots. We replaced the string and cables at 1800 shots.

I think that 1800 shots would be a lifetime for most shooters. This was a bow we tested to develop our custom arrows for the Tornado.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Like any other piece of sporting equipment, If properly maintained and service I've seen bows that are well past their prime still in use and used effectively. The problem isn't with quality rather than technology, the archery business is, as a whole, advancing at a high rate. Its not so much a question of how long it will last as is how quickly will it become outdated. Personally thats why I lean towards the excalibur or the Ten pt gt flex style bows for their simplicity and their effectiveness. The oldest ones i see in for serving and repair without any warranty issue are these type bows. Simply put they are the K.I.S.S.
style x-bows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts