The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a Wildgame camera with this Flextime setting? This is my first camera and I am not sure what the advantage is to have the camera take pictures every minute (or 2,5 10 min intervals) if something isn't actually in front of the camera. It's basically a time-lapse feature during different time periods each day. Does anybody have any recommendations on this camera feature and what situations flextime may work best?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Your camera should not take pictures unless something causes it to trigger (snow, rain, wildlife, or weaving grass or branches caused by the wind). The time delay settings will occur after something triggers it, but it has to be triggered again by movement. If there is no movement, the camera should not trigger and it should revert to a sleep mode to save battery power and not wake up until something (movement) triggers it. My other thought, if the camera is set for example: morning and/or evening activation, this would be the only time the camera will trigger, but something would still have to cause it to trigger as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply as this is a bit confusing to me. The camera is a PIR camera with this Flextime trigger option. I thought the same as you at first, but after trying to understand the manual I am almost certain it takes pics in the Flextime setting every 1,2,5, or 10 minutes without a trigger (during certain periods of the day). I say this because you can also use a combination trigger setting of PIR and Flextime during the same time period!? It is difficult to explain but I did find the manual online. The settings and chart are on page 8 and 9. (http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/pdf/Cameras/W7BCD-booklet.pdf)

BTW there is a flextime software that comes with the camera that you need to view the flextime/time-lapse pictures. You can view the photos and videos that the camera takes in PIR mode with a regular picture/video viewer on my pc.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Will S: I spent a fair bit of time viewing the manual that you supplied by way of the link. Here are a few of my thoughts and suggestions:
1)PIR Mode-in this setting the camera will take either photo or video (depending upon which was selected) 24 hour day.
2)Flex Time Mode-will only work for this time frame and not 24 hour. To me this may be a battery saver but cameras are designed to go into a sleep mode when no movement is detected. Animals move around at various times in the day and night, not just at sunrise or sunset. In this setting, lots of movement could go undetected.
As for SD card size a 4GB or 8GB is plenty large enough. Some camera manufactures recommend up to 32 GB which has been found that they will not work on that size. Your camera lists up to 64GB. To me leaving a camera out for more than a couple of weeks can be disappointing due to:1)a card being filled up by moving grass or branches caused by wind. 2)camera theft, 3)dead batteries, 4)damage by wildlife if not in a secutirty box (bear safe). Once any one battery drops to 1.0 to 1.2 volt, the camera will not function properly or not at all.
On Board Power: this refers to a small battery similiar to a hearing aid or watch battery. All this does is maintain your settings even though your main camera batteries have lost power. Most cameras have this feature.
Delay-PIR Mode-15 seconds. This is long enough as say deer following one another, some will get missed due to this delay, when a camera is set up along a trail.
Delay-Flex Time Mode-here the delay is one minute. To me this is not acceptable unless the camera is set up over a bait. I recently purchased 3 identical Spy Point in which the minimum delay was one minute. These were immediately returned to the dealer because of this. This was discovered when doing an in house test which all my cameras get before setting out in the field.
Depending on what your plans are, I would just set the camera to the PIR Mode which will work 24 hour day and set it to either photo or video which ever you prefer. Your camera has a lot of features and settings depending on what you wish to do with it.
Good luck and enjoy your camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts