The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Answers below each picture:

Wild...this trout took me three years to catch. I fished Falling Springs Heritage Section for 6 months before I caught my first wild rainbow. Three years later and a week before moving back to Central PA, I landed this 22"er on a sz 22 trico dry. As luck would have it, 2 casts later I caught an 18"er.

Stocked, as most rainbow in the state are, Penns Creek

Brown Trout:

Wild - Penns Creek Catch-and-Release section

Wild - Penns Creek Catch-and-Release Section, miles from stocked sections

Stocked - White Deer

Wild - Penns Creek Catch-and-release section, miles from stocked sections

ND - I feel pretty confident it's a wild fish, but it came from the upper part of Penns that is stocked and has wild reproduction.

Wild - Penns Creek Catch-and-Release section miles from stocked sections

Brook Trout:

Wild - Tiny unstocked native stream in the mountains...the streams name escapes me ;-)

Wild - Big Fishing Creek Upper reaches of Trophy Trout Section

Stocked - White Deer, most likely based on congregation of fish it was stocked only 2 days earlier.

The Penns Creek Browns are tough. Could a stocked fish have had made it the far up/down stream...of course they could have. I am basing my assumptions on characteristics of fins, coloration, and demeanor...but, one never can tell with fish in a stocked stream.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Looking at the Penns Creek wild browns, notice how much difference there is in the spotting patterns, all from a brown trout population in the same creek.

I've seen the same thing in some other streams with wild brown trout populations.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
It doesn't matter how many miles away a stream is stocked those stockies have been known to travel many miles in one day after just being realeased especially rainbows. Browns will travel too, I fish a Class A wild trout stream near me that gets stocked at both ends. I always catch stockies in that stream.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
are you sure that second rainbow isnt a wild fish, from what i have heard there are a few rainbows spawning in penns. on a second note i really need to fish that creek

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
attackone said:
are you sure that second rainbow isnt a wild fish, from what i have heard there are a few rainbows spawning in penns. on a second note i really need to fish that creek
I am not aware of any spawning rainbows on Penns and I have never caught a fingerling rainbow on Penns. I did catch quite a few fingerlings on Falling Springs when I fished that stream and I fish Penns quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Shows what I know. I always thought wild rainbows in PA were like leprechauns with pots of gold. Glad to see I was right on #6 though. That thing is a hog!!!!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
kudu58 said:
Shows what I know. I always thought wild rainbows in PA were like leprechauns with pots of gold. Glad to see I was right on #6 though. That thing is a hog!!!!
There are alot more bodies of water that hold wild rainbows then people realize. I catch a good many of them

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Anyone ever fish hammer creek in Lancaster county. I was working near there today and took lunch fishing the creek. Not the prettiest water I've fished but it had fish. Caught 15-20. Didn't really count. But caught several small 6-7 brookies. Brook trout not noted as stocked. Maybe in the past but pretty little for holdover. Could this murky muddy bottomed creek have natives?

·
Registered
483 Posts
chester farmer said:
Anyone ever fish hammer creek in Lancaster county. I was working near there today and took lunch fishing the creek. Not the prettiest water I've fished but it had fish. Caught 15-20. Didn't really count. But caught several small 6-7 brookies. Brook trout not noted as stocked. Maybe in the past but pretty little for holdover. Could this murky muddy bottomed creek have natives?
I fish Hammer Creek sometimes. I've heard reports that the upper section(above Rt.322) does have a few natives, but I never fish up there.I fish the lower section of Hammer Creek (below Speedwell Forge Lake). I have never caught any natives there. They stocked that creek last Friday so that's why you did so well. I caught 19 there back on Saturday.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This was a fun post. Thanks. I was pretty much on the same page as you for all except #7, but given where you say it comes from you might be right. With respect to the rainbows on Penns, I've heard that they were put in Elk by a landowner and are now reproducing from Coburn to the Trestle. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard when I was up there in early April. My ND's were purely because I couldn't see the enough of the fins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts