The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often hear you guys say you don't like to go back to the same stream too frequently because it hurts your success rate. So I was wondering how long you leave a stream rest between outings.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
If you are fishing a stream that I like to fish, I suggest resting it for ONE YEAR!

Seriously, if fishing artificial lures like spinners or plugs, give the stream section(s) you fished at least two weeks rest.

·
20,166 Posts
Stream management is a critical key in catching a LOT of trout during an outing. It's not only not over-fishing but also knowing when to hit the stream that matters. You can give a stream all the rest you want and it can be 2 months since they've seen a fisherman but if the conditions are poor your still likely to walk away wondering. Except on large streams, I will not fish a section of stream more than 2 times per year and only with months between. Typically just once though. If a destroy a stream in early June and return in July or August I almost always catch quite a bit less. So I just bounce around all summer long and never go to the same place twice. I also always assume that others are poking around and that's happening more and more. Add my trips to those that have no concept of stream management and you get lousy fishing real fast.

There was a fellow on this board a few years back that discovered a stream that I used to love. I remember making a post with a photo and commentin on the uncharacteristically lousy fishing and the guy PM'd me to say 'Hey I recognize such and such, fished it for the first time the other day and it was amazing'. This was a place that I could routinely go with proper management and just rake in the fish. He posted up his trips the next few months and it seemed like every week he was on that stream. Never let it come up for air. To this stinking day I'll go there and barely get a hit. I keep trying waiting for it to change but it never does. I know he's still just pounding away on the place. So now I rarely go there and I guess if that creek occupies him enough to keep him off some other places then it's worth the loss.

In the end, if spinner fishermen went to the 'hole' a lot less we'd all be better off for it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It also helps that PA is 2nd only to Alaska in miles of fishable water. No need to overfish any one stream if you are willing to drive and explore a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts