The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What effects the coloration of wild trout?

Namely brookies....

I've heard fall their colors are typically more vibrant due to spawn colors...

Bit recently trout2003 posted a brookie about as colorful as they come...

I've too caught some very colorful and some pale...some a dark steelish color and everywhere in between...

Also noticed my wild tiger the other day was rather plain dull colored...

Just curious as to what plays roles into coloration ...?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I'm not sure anybody really knows. It probably has a lot to do with genetics. Trout in heavily shaded streams are often darker in color than those in less shaded streams.

I'm amazed at how much trout coloration can vary, not only from stream to stream, but within the same stream.

·
20,167 Posts
I dont think it's a stretch to say that Genetics is the #1 contributor. Some watersheds are unreal trout and other have blands fish. Other than that, in my experience, the amount of sunlight is the next biggest factor. Trout will certainly change color over time if they choose to live in a dark or very sunny place. I have a hunch this change takes years though and that they are not instant color changers.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Food will have alot to do with the color of the fish, also as said before the amount of light has to do with it also. if you live in a dark environment then in order to blend in you need to be dark also.

·
Registered
384 Posts
attackone said:
Food will have alot to do with the color of the fish, also as said before the amount of light has to do with it also.
Good question. I have always been told that above is true. I have been told type and quantity of insects have a large influence on color. But, It would be nice to have data to support this hypothesis.

Dad used to also say that browns get their golden-bronze color on the bottom side from eating crayfish. But I have never seen data to support this either.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have referred to "rock" trout in my previous posts. My friends and I jokingly came up with that name for brookies that look to be jet black and dart out from under a rock to attack whatever it is they are eating. I am pretty sure their dark coloration comes from living in the dark, under a rock for years.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Water Quality is also a factor..

Pocono Streams have Tannic Water - looks a little off color like tea..

That will affect the colorations of trout..

I notice when I catch a Smallmouth Bass they are very dark as well.

Spawn colors = War Paint...

here's another question...

What makes a brookie's pectoral fins develop the white edges?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts