The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on the fish commission website there's a wilderness trout stream near me. They did an electro fishing survey in 08 and I believe the had found about 50ish trout per 100yd section??? I think. I visited the creek Saturday. I was pretty far up it sooo it was a really small creek. Maybe a bit down stream it'll get a little bigger. Now my question was what do you use as bait for wild/ native trout?? I was using spinners but couldn't get good action cuz of the size of the creek. Btw I didn't even get a bite. Haha. Also if you have any pictures of said trout post em. I've never caught a native. But always thought they are beautiful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna use wax or mealworms. But no place to get them between my house and the creek. So I went with spinners. Uhhhh Im not the best fly fisherman plus it might be hard to fish the creek with a 9ft rod. Haha. Gonna do some more scoutin this week though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Stick worms, redfins, live baits better, long rod to stay outta sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like grasshoppers or crickets for native browns. No weight, just go upstream and let them float and kick around on the top of the water.

·
20,126 Posts
Give it another month or a warm spell and head back with those spinners and you'll do just fine. Presentation is more important then offering with wild trout. Always fish your way upstream and not downstream. Wear drab colored clothes, don't splash around. If you truly insist of fish ice cold water just try and get your hands on some redworms or evening a pheasant tail nymph fly which you would use with the spinning rod. Either way a natural drift will be very important.
You're issue was most likely 36 degree water and not what you were offering. Trout, especially those in swift flowing mountain streams, just don't act well then. In May you'll see a much different attitude.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
If you use bait i migh suggest using smaller hooks like 10-12 and even smaller and pinch the barb. There are a lot of small fish that if you use a bigger hook, could get some real damage done to them. Sizing your hooks smaller and pinching the barb can reduce the risk of hurting these little guys.

I used to use a lot of wax worms when I bait fished for these guys. The micro troutmagnets might work well as well. I would check and see if you can find some fake maggots or wax worms as well. If they are unscented the trout may not ingest the bait and further reduce the risk of injuring them. I think brookies are attracted to the color white. because of the color of thier fins. Fish are attracted to spawning colors.

Be sure and check the regulations for the stream as well. Some wild trout/ wilderness areas have strict regulations for tackle/bait use.

Good luck. Hope you get lucky and find some great native fishing.

These 2 brookies were caught on a very small dry fly. The area is a Class-A stream. this is an old dam that was put in by the water company. It holds a lot of natives. This dry fly was a size 14 or 16. You can see how big that is in his mouth. Just keep that in mind when making your hook selection.

Real whopper!

wild brown

Another hammer

These fish are a lot of fun but a great resource that we need to protect.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the red worms tip guys. I caught my first native today. Really made me work for it though. Haha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I wanted to go farther down the creek but I ran into a BUNCH of posted signs. Not signed or anything. But even if they're not signed I like to respect the landowner.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
they don't need signed. actually they don't even have to be there. get permission if its not your land. happy fishing

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
That's a cool looking hole. I wish it was open I would love to just hang out there.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
swam in it as kids. it was ice cold in august. up stream from the swimming hole is a flat one on an angle that water flows down we called the slide. i'll see if i have a pic of it somewhere

1 - 20 of 27 Posts