The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great year for wild raspberries in my neck of the woods. Went out two mornings and picked 2 gallon.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yep lots of them here in Southern Allegheny Co. also. Picked enough at Clairton Sportsmans club for my wife to make 7 gars of jelly....

·
Super Moderator
12,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We made one cobbler and froze the others for future cobblers. Very good with ice cream and whip cream all year long. Waiting to see what the black berries do.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Cobbler and ice cream sounds good, we will have to try that next time, Blackberries are looking good here at the club also......

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Just curious, are wild raspberries the same thing as wineberries? I picked about a gallon yesterday (wineberries), looks like most of the blackberries will be ripe in a week or two around here.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Those are RED Raspberries Nicky. Pretty uncommon in the wild here in SW PA. But a number of folks plant them in their yard for their private/personal consumption. If you found them in the wild, keep it hush-hush. lol

·
Registered
24,829 Posts
Look-A-Likes:
There are two native Rubus
shrubs that might be confused
with wineberry. Neither has
the abundant reddish hairs
and thorns (see photo on right)
that mark wineberry.
Common blackberry

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Pretty sure they are wineberries, very similar to cultivated raspberries, but they have a hairy "hood" before they emerge. Not an actual photo that I took, but this is what the plant looks like. Supposedly, they were brought here to create a new strain of red raspberry, but they became invasive. I do know what blackberries look like, they often grow in the same areas, but they are not ripe until they are purplish-black, and don't have the hairy hood that wineberries do (plus they are NOT hollow like a wineberry). Have my eye on the blackberries, they should be ripe in another week or so. ;)

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I ended up picking 15 gal this year. Could have picked more, but my back doesn't take it like it used to. I usually pick about an hour in the am and an hour in the late evening. Keeps me out of the sun. Got zero ticks this year due to using permethrin on my berry clothes. My place is infested with blackberries, but I don't pick them, as I don't like eating them because of the large seeds. I have them right now in various stages of ripeness. From green nubs to a few fully ripe. Most are just now bright red

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Come to think of it Nicky, you may be right, as the red raspberries in my yard grow more elongated than what yours show ? Yours are predominantly "round". But then again, there are different strains of everything, and many have different characteristics.

If they're good. eat 'em. haha

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Come to think of it Nicky, you may be right, as the red raspberries in my yard grow more elongated than what yours show ? Yours are predominantly "round". But then again, there are different strains of everything, and many have different characteristics.

If they're good. eat 'em. haha
Yeah, they are good. But this leads me back to my original question, are these the same thing as wild raspberries that other guys are talking about, or just something a little different?:confused:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
They are not the same.

They are related, but black raspberries, red raspberries, and wineberries are 3 different species.

Both black and red rasberries are native to PA.

The wineberries are an introduced species, but now commonly grow on their own.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
How long are they in season in the northern tier of Pa. I` going up in as week and a half , would they still be in season?
Blackberries are still available,but the Rasberries may be just about done,if the birds havn`t gotten to them already....

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
something no-one has mentioned are golden(yellow) raspberries. I usually pick about a gallon of them over the course of the season.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts