The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the Indian Creek area in fayette county yesterday and the creek was way to low. I tried some other wild trout streams and they were all too low as well. I just happened to come across this trib to indian creek near normalville. I think it was poplar run? Anyways the creek was tiny as you can see in the pics. But underneath the Rt 711 bridge was a really deep hole. I couldnt even see the bottom. I lost a huge brown trout in the hole. At least huge for that creek, it had to be at least 16 or 17 inches. A couple casts later I got this rainbow. Its pretty small and judging by the coloration I believe its wild but Im not sure. Could anybody tell me if it is?

They were they only 2 trout that I saw in the hole but Im sure there were more. Other than that the creek was filled with chubs.

This is how big the creek was.

This hole looked alright but all i got was chubs.

Heres the rainbow. Wild?

Also, the creek was not listed by the state as approved trout waters or class a wild trout. But it was listed as natural trout reproduction.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
nice pics and fish. it was probably stocked at the bridge, as long as a water is not class a and is open to public fishing it can be stocked. even if the state doest stock it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'd say that probably is a wild fish judging by the parr marks. Although I never fished that particular stream, I have seen wild bows in other streams nearby.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Tail looks good (no cement wear)
I would say a wild fish and not a stockie.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
I think there's a pretty good chance it's a wild rainbow. It looks like one, and I caught a few of what appeared to be wild rainbows in Indian Creek further up from where you fished.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hard to tell according to the PFBC there are not to many rainbows reproducing in PA although Falling Spring is one of them. I've caught one or two that I thought were wild myself. I also stocked some pretty small fish in the area streams that had par markings(seems like the farther upstream you go they get smaller in the buckets) :whistle

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the main reasons i thought it might be wild was because i saw on the pfbc site that rassler run, just a few min downstream of where I was, has wild rainbows in it according to the pfbc.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's a nice sized rainbow if it is indeed wild. I'd say there's a good chance considering there are other streams in that watershed that support wild bows

·
Registered
941 Posts
There's fair numbers of wild rainbows in a lot of the area for sure.PFBC should publish data gathered this spring soon.

·
20,166 Posts
That's most likely a wild rainbow as the Indian Creek water shead holds them very lightly throughout. As for the ones caught in Indian Creek a lot of those are stocked fingerlings. Groups have been stocking fingerlings in there for years and they've done ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts