The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April I got bundles of seedlings from Howard nursery. Chinese chestnut and wild plum. Planted almost all of them at camp. Saved 2 chestnuts and 2 plums. chestnuts are planted in the small patch of woods in the back
yard. Plums are in 5 gal. buckets right now. I know that plums can form a thicket. Can you also plant plum and have it grow as a single tree without spreading? I have wild cherry in the back yard and constantly cut the seedlings and saplings that grow along the creek. Not looking to do the same with plums if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My experience with planting my own is only 4+ years deep right now. The plums I have planted in tubes have not suckered to this point, and are taking tree form for now. I don't know if that will change when I remove the tubes (don't plan to do so any time soon, but a couple will likely split the tubes on their own in the next couple years), but the native wild plums on my place are mid-sized trees, not shrubby thicket types.

I have wild cherries in the yard too, so can appreciate your frustration with those. With my native wild plums I don't see nearly so many seedlings taking off as with the cherries, but there <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> usually a few of them to be found around the mature trees. At this point my limited experience makes me think that too many new seedlings from parent trees are not as big an issue with plums as with cherries.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of planting them on the edge of the woodline so they get good sun. Grass cutting should keep most of them in check if they sucker but a bit worried they would get like the cherries,everywhere. Good bird and deer snacks tho

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
American is what Howard sells. I may want to rethink planting in a suburban yard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts