The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked a handfull of these today. the bushes were 6" to 12" off the ground and kinda of a ground cover formation and were loaded with these little beauties. i've been picking them for years and allways called them huckleberries. i found these ones on a power line, but ahve found them on the top of old strip jobs next to woods.

also lately i've been noticing tall big bushes of green blueberry shaped fruits. they get a light pink/purle color and start to dry out and the center of the berries is purple. int he spring the flowers do look like blueberry flowers however the centers are ever so slightly differnt, my buddy calls them blusberries that never turn blue, any idea what these are?

thanks

So for all you blueberry experts out there are these huckleberries of late low bush blueberries?

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Always heard that true huckleberries grow on an annual plant in the nightshade family. Blueberries grow on woody shrubs that continue to grow year after year.

As a kid, we called wild blueberries huckleberries and farmed blueberries, well, blueberries.

The outward appearance of the blue berry is nearly identical to the service berry. In fact they taste almost the same, but the service berry is a relative of the crab apple and has barely noticeable little "apple like" cores and seeds inside. Service berries get ripe around the first week of June.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts