The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out picking black raspberries last evening, i noticed quite a bit grape vines with green small pea size grapes while picking berries for jam. My questions are they safe to eat when ripe?

If birds don't get to them all. There not low enough for a deer or bear to stand on hind legs to reach these grapes. I did hear years ago there not healthy to eat so i didn't bother other late summers to pick them.

Does anyone on here pick grapes?, are they safe to eat? Thinking making wine with grapes, i done it with malberries. Thank you...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I grew up eating wild muscadines and scupernaughs by the gallon and have been eagerly awaiting the grapes here getting ripe. Why would they not be healthy to eat?

·
Registered
785 Posts
The seeds are big but the grapes are tasty. I made wine with them and it was the best I ever made.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, jcourson i read that on line from a site when i goggled wild grapes. I don't remember what state, i do recall reading that article. I'm up at the farm twice a week picking black raspberries. I will keep an eye on them when ready to pick. Thank you...

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
They have a pretty strong taste. Sour & tannic.

But if you wait pretty late into the season, after there's a frost, they are sweet enough to eat.

As far as them being harmful, I never heard that. I've eaten them and never suffered any consequences. They're grapes, just the wild form of grapes. I think Concord Grapes were developed from these wild grapes, selectively bred to produce a sweeter taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts