The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post that they are ripe now. We have a few trees in our yard and they are loaded. They are very good but they are mostly seed. Birds sure love them. Had them in the yard for years but never really noticed them because the birds eat them. One rarely ever hits the ground.

·
Registered
384 Posts
They are still very green in Potter too. In fact I wont see ripe <span style="font-style: italic">Serotina</span> (black cherry) berries until mid August.
But my <span style="font-style: italic">Amalancher sp.</span> (or Serviceberry) are ripe at home, they taste good (better than blueberry IMO). I planted 4 out back and the birds eat 90% of mine before I can get to them.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea Northpotter they are very good I will try to post a picture if I can download it from my phone. They are so hard to pick or I would try to make some wine from them. I would need a high-lift to get enough.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Dauphin Co wild black cherries are good to go. We spent about 1.5hrs on saturday picking from a huge tree in the woods near my house, here is my half of the take. We went back and got about 4X more yesterday. This is the first time in 4yrs that we beat the squirrels and birds to them and they are darn sweet

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, now they really look good. They are the dark red ones. I bet they are real sweet.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Yeah they are very sweet. We found another big tree yesterday that is just hanging with them. We may end up leaving those for the critters as we all have more than enough!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good eating. Those are the Juneberry/ Serviceberry/Shadblow/ and sometimes even called the Indian Cherry. For some odd reason it has several common names but all fall under <span style="font-style: italic"> Amalanchier</span> various species. The <span style="font-style: italic">Amalanchier</span> fruit is all borne on single stems. The fruit is excellent. Just in the last couple years there are now a few farms in NY starting to grow improved cultivar's of these in an attempt to create a commercial market.

However, Black Cherry or wild Black Cherry fruit grows in a cluster like this:

In PA, the true Black Cherry is one of the highest value timber lot trees. A large diameter saw log brings very good $$$$. But I don't eat their fruit.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Was eating sour cherries afew weeks ago at my friends house, tree must be 60-70 feet high and couldn't reach many from the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts