The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Taxidermists: I am going hunting for boar, I do not wnat to have a head mounted, all I want are the tusks. I understand they are very difficult to remove wothout boiling the head. I would rather not drag a head or two home with me. Anu suggestions other than cutting out the jaw bones?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
John,

I shot one several years ago that had very long tusks. I asked the taxidermist to save the skull for me and he returned it with the eyes/tongue/tusks intact.

I dug a hole in the backyard and lined it with rocks. Placed the skull in the hole and put a small pc of plywood over it and covered it with about a foot of dirt.

When I retrieved it about a year later, something had gotten the top of the skull but the jawbone and tusks were still there and clean.

I scrubbed it and bleached it and ten years later still have it on my shelf downstairs. Though one of the tusks eventually dried up and split:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm guessing the best and easiest thing you can do is just measure the tusks and purchase a set from a tax. website. The real ones will eventually split anyways.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They do split. I have a set from last years boar hunt and they haven't split yet I am thinking about filling them with epoxy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts