The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
No offense to any one who participates, but if I wanted to fill my freezer with farm pigs I’d just go talk to a farmer, buy one from him, and ask him if I could shoot it when it’s time to butcher it.

In my mind this conversation has run it’s course for me. I want a huntable population of swine in PA; you guys do not I understand that. You guys can keep hoping they are never a thing here, and I will keep on hoping they are.
Similar to someone wanting Gypsy Moths, Emerald Ash Borers , Wooly Adelgid to be everywhere. It's completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
No offense to any one who participates, but if I wanted to fill my freezer with farm pigs I’d just go talk to a farmer, buy one from him, and ask him if I could shoot it when it’s time to butcher it.

In my mind this conversation has run it’s course for me. I want a huntable population of swine in PA; you guys do not I understand that. You guys can keep hoping they are never a thing here, and I will keep on hoping they are.
A Huntable population would be OK, But that's not what happens. The population of pigs grows exponentially. They will take over an area in very short time. Pigs have no natural enemy's in this part of the world. Obviously you are NOT a conservationist and only care about yourself. It is irresponsible to promote an invasive species into the wilds.

Go to Texas and maybe you will run up against a guy like this. That should give you the thrills you desire:

Vertebrate Organism Brown bear Gas Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
328 Posts
Wow I’d love for those bad boys to call PA’s farm fields and game lands home! It would be great to see something like that from my tree stand while bow hunting! I can almost smell and hear bacon sizzling!

I am not going to pay some out of state farmer money to help him with a “problem.” If they are such a pain the farmers/ranchers need to open their land to hunting.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow I’d love for those bad boys to call PA’s farm fields and game lands home! It would be great to see something like that from my tree stand while bow hunting! I can almost smell and hear bacon sizzling!

I am not going to pay some out of state farmer money to help him with a “problem.” If they are such a pain the farmers/ranchers need to open their land to hunting.
you sure like to get these guys worked up. Lol.

·
Administrator
31,351 Posts
Although it was believed that the animals would spread wildly like feral swine around the country, these animals never strayed far from their original release area.
I'm somewhat curious about this. There are true wild pigs all over the place here. They do seem to have preferred areas where they can regularly be found, but they are very nomadic. So much so that the person responsible for wildlife management of any given area is not required to provide a management plan for them to their higher level hunting authority.
The season here is year round, with minimal restrictions, and yet the population continues to grow and spread.
Yeah, they are enjoyable to hunt, but not worth the damage they cause, and are near impossible to control.

Reactions: limbhnger10

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

And how would you like to encounter this guy face-to-face while walking to your treestand at 4 AM ?

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
328 Posts
It’d be no different than running into a bear. Funny story though the most startled I ever was in the woods was several years ago hunting deep into the “wilds” of WV. I was walking to the tree I planned to climb. It was about 430AM and I heard the most unnatural scream I’ve ever heard from what seemed like 50 yards behind me the way I just came. I was never so thankful to have a pistol on my belt in my life. After doing some research I figure it was almost certainly a bob cat.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pretty sure pigs are bit nastier than bears, at least as far as we're concerned. I mean sure put em in a pen together the bear will probably win but put em both in the woods on either side of you and the pig is much more likely to ruin your day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just read an article where California passed a bill to allow hunting of wild pigs. Seems they are causing a lot of damage. Must be true for a liberal state like Cali to allow hunting when they are trying to outlaw other hunting opportunities.

·
Registered
14,570 Posts
Just read an article where California passed a bill to allow hunting of wild pigs. Seems they are causing a lot of damage. Must be true for a liberal state like Cali to allow hunting when they are trying to outlaw other hunting opportunities.
Can you link the article? Sounds strange because they've been hunting hogs in California for a long time. Maybe legalized night hunting or something?

·
Registered
14,570 Posts
Why didn't they ever really take off in WV?
Not sure, just speculating:

Perhaps the fact that they are a pure wild strain, are in a very rugged and isolated area with no agriculture, and they have been actively hunted them since their introduction? Perhaps having no ag has been a limiting factor? Another thing is that there were practically no deer or other large game in the area, which was why they introduced them in the first place, so they have had all resources to themselves and may not have had to expand their territory? Again, I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Why didn't they ever really take off in WV?
They say that the residents of that particular area of WV suffer from cholesterol related heart issues. They were able to identify the cholesterol as coming from eating too much wild swine pork. 😁

·
Registered
9,955 Posts

Don,t feed the Troll.Anybody that would make such outlandish remarks with a complete disrespect for conservation and habitat for our state doesn,t deserve a response.Ignore the Troll.Don,t we have a ignore feature here?

·
Registered
178 Posts
[QUOTE="BowHunter100, post: 4045840, member: 92880"
Poaching. They had to make the much of the same area in WV archery hunting only to try to manage the poaching.
[/QUOTE]

I recall resident landowners do not need a license in WV. With that mind set do you wonder why they have poaching problems?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts