The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been wanting to come up to SGL97/ Buchanon State Forest to at least see some sign of the wild boar that were in the area. Are there still boar in these areas? I would love the opportunity to take one but even see sign and where they are living would be awesome. Any info would be appreciated. Was going to contact the PGC central PA office but not sure they would be willing to give any information.
Thanks for any info.
Josh

·
Registered
818 Posts
I saw one this past fall a few weeks before archery season. There are some around but I've been hunting there for 5 or 6 seasons with two other guys and that's the only sighting we've had. Covered a lot of ground in those years and never seen an obvious sign of them either. We've seen multiple fisher, bobcats, coyotes and bears but only one of them. As far as I can tell they probably won't give you too much information. it's the last county in the state that is recognized as having pigs so any known sounders would likely be being targeted for trapping and they won't want you messing that up. All in all I wouldn't set your hopes too high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw one this past fall a few weeks before archery season. There are some around but I've been hunting there for 5 or 6 seasons with two other guys and that's the only sighting we've had. Covered a lot of ground in those years and never seen an obvious sign of them either. We've seen multiple fisher, bobcats, coyotes and bears but only one of them. As far as I can tell they probably won't give you too much information. it's the last county in the state that is recognized as having pigs so any known sounders would likely be being targeted for trapping and they won't want you messing that up. All in all I wouldn't set your hopes too high.
Thanks! Well worst case scenario I will get to cover some new ground I have not hunted in the past. And may get lucky and see some other animals. To me that is the really fun part, you never know what might pop out. I appreciate you telling me you did see one. Gives some hope!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Several years ago some a-hole brought some up to a high-fence place over around Chaneysville. I heard no one was around to sign for them so the ******* left them loose. They migrated clear over East to the mountain in Fulton County and multiplied like crazy. I had some around my place below Clearville. The folks in that area worked together to keep them somewhat contained. The Amish even made a few trips over and put on drives. They had some success but really didn't put a dent in them. My second cousin's husband was a land manager for the PGC and he hired a guy to come in and trap them on the other side of the ridge from my place. They were quite successful at that venture and E-R-A-D-I-C-A-T-E-D them!! Caught and killed in the circular traps they set. I heard the people that own the high-fence enterprise were put on notice to never let that happen again.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Thanks! Well worst case scenario I will get to cover some new ground I have not hunted in the past. And may get lucky and see some other animals. To me that is the really fun part, you never know what might pop out. I appreciate you telling me you did see one. Gives some hope!

Gives some hope.:thumbsdown:We don,t want these dang blasted things established here.:thumbsdown: Anybody with that attitude would be banned on any huntin on my property.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've hunted that area extensively for 30 years with my family from our cabin in Purcell. There was a time when you could see pigs and sign of pigs for sure. That time is long gone now. There may be a few around but we have not seen any or any sign of them for probably at least 8-10 years now. There was a major effort to eliminate them and apparently it was very successful.

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
319 Posts
All you all that are against wild pigs I don’t get it! I would love for them to get started and established. I’d love to have another option to bow hunt. They should be protected till they get going! They live side by side with deer in plenty of other states.I am sure the deer would be fine in PA like those states as well!

·
Registered
443 Posts
You are extremely foolish for that statement.

Wild boar are extremely destructive, would cause significant crop damage, root up yards, golf courses etc. Destroy sensitive habitats used by other species including endangered species. The could cause damage to streams, further polluting trout streams. They are known to raid turkey nests, eat snakes etc.

I could go on and on....

Yes hunting would be fun, but at great cost to our local environment and ecological make up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I believe that if CWD rates get high enough, and hogs do not get it, we will see more people who want hogs. Very good chance that people will not bother hunting for deer if there is a good chance of the animal having CWD. Hogs are not deer, but if they are safe from CWD, my guess is that many, would welcome them, if CWD ruins our deer herd. I will never see widespread hogs in PA in my lifetime. PA is getting to the point where deer are the main animal to hunt. We lost our small game, and no one is really doing as much as possible to bring them back. If we lose our huntable deer population, due to CWD, we lose most of our hunting. Many hunters only buy a licenses to deer hunt. I think that most would rather kill and eat a healthy hog than a CWD deer. Right now we have free testing of our deer we harvest, for CWD. If CWD rates get very high and hunters had to pay to have their deer tested, hogs will look very promising.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
All you all that are against wild pigs I don’t get it! I would love for them to get started and established. I’d love to have another option to bow hunt. They should be protected till they get going! They live side by side with deer in plenty of other states.I am sure the deer would be fine in PA like those states as well!
If I was in charge they would be banned for such disgraceful and disrespectfull comments made about our conservation.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
319 Posts
If I was in charge they would be banned for such disgraceful and disrespectfull comments made about our conservation.:thumbsdown:
Sorry that you feel so negatively about the possibility of having another great big game animal to pursue in Penn’s Woods. If they eat snakes like someone suggested I went from a supporter of hogs to an advocate for them! I hate snakes! I doubt any amount of debate will make you see the light of expanding on our big game species. If they ever get established in our life time I don’t want to read in a post some day how much you enjoy perusing them locally and how tasty wild bacon and chops are!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I enjoy hunting hogs and have killed 8 free range hogs, but I would NEVER advocate that we purposely introduce them into Pa, and if and when they show up here we should do everything we can to eradicate them. There are plenty of places to hunt free range hogs... go there and hunt them if you have a hankering to kill some.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts