The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i'm pretty big and all about wild edibles. nothing quite like using what the good lord provides. heres my problem,

1) i have a little berry patch at my mom and dads, it is wild, grows ina pine field, it get little tiny blueberries all over it around last week to first week of jun and july. they are only about 1/2 the size of a pea, i assume these are called wild huckleberries. bushes stay low to the ground only about a foot.

2) when out picking berries the other day, i came across an area that had 2 differnt types of bushes low ones that had pea size blueberries. when i went back to pick the ripe ones they were all gone, but one. are they wild blueberries?
3) right beside the lower bushes was bushes that had a just a it darker green leaves,a nd are loaded with marble size green berries, that areant even starting to blue yet, but these bushes are considerably talller about 2'-3' off the ground,the berries do have the little tasle things on the free end, however they are very close together.

any help would be greatly appreiciated. thanks oh yeah if anyone can take some photos from there excursions with photos or ripe, unripe berries , and photos of the bushes/leaves. that would be helpfullto my for identification. thanks again

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INTERESTING, so i would assume all that we have around here are actually blueberries of differnt varieties.

still not sure what the green berries are. thanks john s

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If I recall correctly. we used to call the green Berries" Pig Berries." Why, I guess our Parents called them that??? We never ate them because our Parents told us not to. I don`t think they ever turned Blue? Growing up,in the Smicksburg/Plumville area, there were a lot of Huckleberry patches around. Very few now.....

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There are both low bush and high bush blueberries. In this area low bush seem to ripen first usually mid-late june and the high bush start to ripen about two weeks later. Both bushes are producing ripe berries now. It's not unusual to have one bush ripen while the one next to it is still green. The color of ripe berries can vary from a deep purple to a much lighter blue. Some have red mixed in while others have a powdery white shadowing over the blue. We pick about 15-20 gallon bags a year from our property. They freeze really well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Years ago I had some Nightshade which grew under my pine trees and were a deep blue. All not too far from some wild blueberry bushes in an adjoining field. Strange things happen and could imagine someone thinking the shape and color is similiar to blueberry. Nightshade is extremely poisonous. You are doing right by being cautious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts