The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,397 Posts
I would believe so. Not to familar with them , but I would expect they would be sent to your computer or cell phone. I could be confused with cellular cameras , but it might be simular in therory . But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A couple of details to help. Wi-Fi is not the same as cellular. Cellular will send to an app on your phone or a website that you can access through any internet browser and you can be miles away. Wi-fi does not do the same thing. Some cameras come with two parts. The camera and remote device which does capture those images which are sent to it over a Wi-Fi connection. Other cameras only have the camera and the Wi-fi is only used to connect your viewing device such as your cell phone, tablet, ipad, etc. to it to view the images. You must be close to the camera for it to work and usually you have to push a button on the camera to wake up the Wi-Fi connection. Wi-if is not always on with the viewing only devices to save battery life on cameras. If camera is being sold with wi-fi always on, you better invest in a solar panel or a lot of batteries because it will use a lot of power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A couple of details to help. Wi-Fi is not the same as cellular. Cellular will send to an app on your phone or a website that you can access through any internet browser and you can be miles away. Wi-fi does not do the same thing. Some cameras come with two parts. The camera and remote device which does capture those images which are sent to it over a Wi-Fi connection. Other cameras only have the camera and the Wi-fi is only used to connect your viewing device such as your cell phone, tablet, ipad, etc. to it to view the images. You must be close to the camera for it to work and usually you have to push a button on the camera to wake up the Wi-Fi connection. Wi-if is not always on with the viewing only devices to save battery life on cameras. If camera is being sold with wi-fi always on, you better invest in a solar panel or a lot of batteries because it will use a lot of power.
OK if I understand the wifi won't help. I will use for security and the camera will be in range of my router, 75' or so, so if the camera takes a picture it is on the sd card only. Therefore if thief takes the camera I have no pictures. How about the camera with 2 parts, can you explain and or give me link to or name of camera so I can look it up?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If theft is a big concern, it may not matter if you have cell cam or not. Thieves could steal the cam without having their pic taken.

Just an FYI, they sell metal security boxes for many cams that can be locked... doesn’t guarantee the camera won’t be stolen but it’s an effective deterrent in my experience. Also, some cellular cams have gps built in in case it’s stolen. I believe the newer Tactacams have it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK if I understand the wifi won't help. I will use for security and the camera will be in range of my router, 75' or so, so if the camera takes a picture it is on the sd card only. Therefore if thief takes the camera I have no pictures. How about the camera with 2 parts, can you explain and or give me link to or name of camera so I can look it up?
I am trying to find the ones with a remote unit. I think it was spypoint/stealth that had them. One other note, the Wi-Fi does not have to be any where near your router at home. The camera acts as its own router and establishes its own network among the devices in the woods. Lonewolf undercover trail camera is a single unit with Wi-Fi that I have used. Cellular cameras have become the norm anymore. I have too much invested in non-cellular to pay for a bunch of data plans. For cameras that I want to remote monitor in locations that I do not want to keep my presence known with scent I have both spypoint cell-links. It essentially can turn any normal trail camera into a cellular camera. You replace the SD card in your camera with a fake one that has a cable that feeds into a cellular modem which will load the images into an app on your phone for you. The cell link has its own storage on the device which it then sends the photos to your app. They are only like $40 for the device and then you pay for monthly plan for whatever number of photos you want to receive.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
One other note, the Wi-Fi does not have to be any where near your router at home. The camera acts as its own router and establishes its own network among the devices in the woods.
Most of what you said was way over my head but I have a question. Which camera acts as its own router and how do you power that camera? How much power does it use?

I had a battery camera set up at the house that sent signals to the wifi in the house. The camera's battery did not last very long and that was only a wifi signal, not wifi and router.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Most of what you said was way over my head but I have a question. Which camera acts as its own router and how do you power that camera? How much power does it use?

I had a battery camera set up at the house that sent signals to the wifi in the house. The camera's battery did not last very long and that was only a wifi signal, not wifi and router.
The lonewolf undercover trail camera creates its own Wi-Fi acting as a router. It is not connected to your home Wi-Fi. That one will disable the Wi-Fi once you arm the camera to take photos. This way its not burning up the batteries. To wake up the Wi-Fi you hit a button on the camera and then you can connect to that Wi-Fi with your phone to view or download images and change any settings that you like. I use lithium batteries with it and they usually last 9 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts