The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I was unable to get out the first couple days of rifle season, due to a new job. So my Wife had to take to the woods all by herself. Here is her story.

The first day of rifle she settled into her stand bright and early with hopes of seeing a few deer and possibly a buck. Well it was an unsuccessful day with her only seeing one spike buck in her all day sit.

Tuesday she still had hopes of seeing a few deer. Well she was in the stand early for another all day sit. As the hours went on she saw no deer while on stand. As it was getting dark she headed back to the truck and there were two does standing in the field. She stalked them into comfortable range. But when she got set into position for the shot(area 2B)the deer were on alert and trotted to the top of the hill where she could not shoot as the deer were on the skyline. She watched them trot over the hill and headed back to the truck ending anther unsuccessful day.

Day three is when it gets interesting. She went to sit in our two man ladder stand that she hunted the last two days, but there was a hunter very close to where the stand was and not wanting to interrupt his hunt. She gave me a call and i told her to get back in the truck and drive to the backside of the farm and sit in my brothers ladder stand. She finally made it to that stand at 8. Well as the time went on she got more and more disappointed as there were no deer moving at all. Around 2 o'clock she texted me and said she was disgusted with the day and wanted to head home. I told her to take a walk down the tram road and sit in our buddy's (sputz10) stand, for some different scenery.

This is where is gets good. She got to his stand and noticed it was a 24 foot ladder stand. She crawled up in it all while not trying to look down as, she said this stand is way high. While climbing up the stand the ladder made a clink and she jumped a couple deer. Now her spirits are getting a little better as she knows that deer do exsist. She got settled into that stand about 2:30. Around 3:30 a big buck comes busting out of the thicket chasing two does. She watched them weave in and out of the thickets and finally got a clear shot at about 60 yards. She put the cross hairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger and the buck fell right in its tracks. I am sitting in the office working and i get a phone call and she proceeds to tell me that she shot a big buck. I could here the excitement and adrenaline in her voice, and could tell she was shaking. She called Sputz10 and my father to help in the retrieval and drag. She harvested a beautiful 8 point and her biggest buck to date. She would like to publicly thank Sputz10 for allowing her to hunt his stand and helping get this deer out of the woods and making this experience that much better. Sorry for the long Post and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Absolutely beautiful...my wife will read this before Saturday , she has had similar hunts until that WED hunt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!!! Thank you so much for your kind words!!! I'm so greatful to have such a loving a supportive husband and glad that we both share a passion for hunting. I'd say patience def paid off this time!!! Thanks again for reading my story!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts