The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to handguns but not to guns in general. I have been active in the outdoors for 30 years hunting and trapping . that said I have never owned a handgun and will be getting one soon.. My question is , What handgun would be good for my wife to carry, most likly in her purse mostly but also when she goes for a walk? Thanks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Pro and cons on semi. and revolvers. They make some real nice little carry guns these days. I would suggest maybe a S&W bodyguard in 380 or maybe a Taurus ultra light in a 38 spl
Take her to a shop and see what fit her hand best. Some revolvers tend to have larger grips and can be hard for a woman to wrap her hand around.
Many companies are making handguns specifically for women also, eg. The lady smiths.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Follow the advice of taking her to a reputable gun shop and let her see what fits her the best.

If she has never handled a firearm or has very little experience, a small revolver may be better for her due to an easier learning curve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice I will do that..Are the semi that difficult to use? I like the higher cap. of rounds in them...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Don't get a semi-auto for her-why have to worry about a safety? Revolvers are the best for women and concealed carry in general.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
There are to many things that could go wrong with a semi versus a revolver. The absolute best weapon for a beginner to carry is a hammerless revolver! Smith & Wesson IMO is the best!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love when the fellas decide that the ladies need some type of accomodation due to being a woman. Guess what guys? They can handle anything you can! While I'll not debate carry guns, anyone suggesting a light .38 for a new shooter is very misguided and most likely has never shot one the amount it takes to become proficient with that weapon. My suggestion is to get out of her way and not go to any gun shops with her. She can also handle a semi with a safety, even though she is a FEMALE
...Let her decide. Not much beats a .22 to gain confidence and if I had to make a carry gun choice for a new shooter, it would be the Model 10 Smith and Wesson in a QUALITY carry holster. The 4 inch barrel conceals easily if in a proper piece of leather. You can reload her some nice light rounds for fun shooting too. I'd also recommend looking for an NRA First Steps course and again...don't try to coach her, just support her and have fun while woodswalking and plinking together... My wife surprised me one day by telling me shot got her carry permit, I never mentioned it once, she made the choice. After much shooting (3 years of 22.'s) with me she eventually went with the snub .38 (even though not my choice). She chose the LCR with the CT sights btw. All on her own, she did the research and she made the purchase.

GET OUT OF THE WAY GUYS! SHE IS IS AN ADULT AND A BIG GIRL NOW! You wouldn't pick her shoes would you? This is 100 times more important and personal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To the OP...Let me add one thing. The purse is a terrible place for a carry gun. The carry gun needs to be on the body in a high quality holster. NEVER in a purse. A purse in a target for a thief, now you've armed him too...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
taurus makes some s&w look-alikes like the model 85 that are nice as well and cheaper. if you can afford it, i would buy a small 22 revolver like the taurus model 94 to go along with a 38 special. let her get comfortable with the 22 and learn trigger control, site alignment, etc on it and then start her off with 158 grain 38 target loads. she can learn the basics with the cheapo 22 ammo and that will save you a bundle on the 38 stuff. i recommended this route for my neice and thats what she did. she hardly shoots the 85 and shoots the 22 a lot. i forget which 22 she got though.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I'm also a fan of getting a wheel gun in .357 and running .38spl out of it for practice. Yeah...she'll notice the difference between the two, AT THE RANGE, but in a SHTF scenario the added recoil will likely not be noticed. we snuck a 3" magnum slug in on a buddy a couple weeks ago deer hunting. he's been practicing with the 2 3/4"s for weeks and he never noticed the added (significantly different) recoil of the bigger round when there was a deer in front of him.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Bought my wife a Glock 19 in 9mm.

They can handle the recoil just fine. She actually wanted a 40.

I would rather have the 15-16 rounds over the revolver anyday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife has shot her S&W model 65LS 357 mag for years now, most of the range work is done with 38's but every session is ended with 4 or 5 cylinders full of 357 mag's. she has developed tendinitis in her wrists and this gun is getting to heavy for her to shoot for extended periods of time. She has now chosen a S&W model 60 Pro 357 mag for her carry gun, it is much lighter for her, and with the 3" barrel and nice grips it is a relatively easy gun to shoot. Her carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Chuck

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
beagler said:
Ciscokid55 said:
Don't get a semi-auto for her-why have to worry about a safety? Revolvers are the best for women and concealed carry in general.
+1
Make that + 2. The revolver is easy to load and unload and that is a plus for someone not familar with handguns.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My post for opinions on the Taurus 941 22Mag is to decide what to get for my MRS. This will be strictly a personal protection HANDGUN for her. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Smage

1 - 20 of 22 Posts