The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a good quality pair in a wide width. I also have trouble finding a pair that have enough room in the calf area so that I can tuck my pants inside.

Any recommendations? I need an insulated and an uninsulated pair.

I have a pair of muck boots, which I love, but they are not the most comfortable for all day walking, plus my feet tend to sweat in them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ha, the truth is there are no form fitting boots unless you have an average leg and an average size foot.
I remember meeting a woman looking for waders for her son. He was only 15 and needed a size 15 foot in the wader.

"Ma'am, you ought to be glad you only legally have to buy him shoes until he's 18.

I had a relative with large calves. Oh, did he have trouble finding clothes, especially some on sale. His size was never on sale

I was the smallest member of my last basketball team. I was lucky to get back into archery. I was fitted for a 30 inch draw, rthen the biggest size at the store.

They don't make sizes for everyone.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
TedC54 said:
I need a good quality pair in a wide width. I also have trouble finding a pair that have enough room in the calf area so that I can tuck my pants inside.

Any recommendations? I need an insulated and an uninsulated pair.

I have a pair of muck boots, which I love, but they are not the most comfortable for all day walking, plus my feet tend to sweat in them.

Thanks.
I think your foot will sweat in any rubber boot. I wear a size 12 or 13 depending on brand, but my width is a 4E. I feel your pain when it comes to rubber boots and hip waders that are wide enough.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you go with a pair of gortex hip waders they will give you the room needed, just need to buy a pair of wading boots to go with them.
I agree on the rubber boots, my feet sweat in them also.
LL Bean makes high rubber bottom boots, up to 16 inches, but I won't advise them for snow, the chain link sole doesn't give the best traction.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
If you go with a pair of gortex hip waders they will give you the room needed, just need to buy a pair of wading boots to go with them.
I agree on the rubber boots, my feet sweat in them also.
LL Bean makes high rubber bottom boots, up to 16 inches, but I won't advise them for snow, the chain link sole doesn't give the best traction.
Do you have a source for extra wide wading boots?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
No, what I would do is visit your local fly fishing shop, cabela's or bass pro, and try a pair of stocking foot gortex waist high waders on, then a pair of wading shoes to go with them.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
What I have is a pair of Cabela's waist high gortex waders, along with size 10 Hodgman wading shoes. I wear a size 10EE shoe. They feel a little tight when first put on but seem to streach a little once I start walking and when in the water.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Mucks Woody Elite and Artic Pros fit my 11 4E the best. All rubber boots cause sweating. I had several pair of LaCrosse, but the Mucks are more comfortable.
When doing any serious walking I wear Leather w/ GoreTex.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
What I have is a pair of Cabela's waist high gortex waders, along with size 10 Hodgman wading shoes. I wear a size 10EE shoe. They feel a little tight when first put on but seem to streach a little once I start walking and when in the water.
That is what I meant. Go with stocking foot and add the boot. Someone out there had to make a wide wading boot. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pappybear said:
Mucks Woody Elite and Artic Pros fit my 11 4E the best. All rubber boots cause sweating. I had several pair of LaCrosse, but the Mucks are more comfortable.
When doing any serious walking I wear Leather w/ GoreTex.
Thanks. Will check those out.

I have a good pair of Danner leather/gore tex boots but I need VERY waterproof boots for a moose hunt in Newfoundland. There will also be a lot of walking involved.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Ted the Woody Elites are my hunting boots and the Artic Pros are my snow blowing/ ice fishing boots. Both are very comfortable walking and warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts