The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at this point, I think everyone would agree that the ESOS will be hurt to a point of financial hardship by the boycott. Over 15% of their vendors have pulled out and over 10,000 people have vowed to boycott the show.

But the question is why hasn't the ESOS reversed their stance? From a purely business standpoint, it seems the only logical thing to do at this point is reverse the ban. Am I the only one that thinks there is more going on behind the scenes on this one?

What are your thoughts on the true motives of the ban?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think they thought it would go this far and now the damage is done. Who ever's idea it was does not want to be outed for sure. This can be a very positive event for our side if we can hang in there and get a few more to pull out and no shows. every politician in the country is watching how this turns out. That is why it is important for the NRA to stand with us because the left will turn it into a division.

·
Registered
658 Posts
In my opinion, 15 even 20 percent may hurt, but not cripple them. The booth costs of those remaining will more than cover that loss. And 10,000 is less than 10 percent of total gate. A good start, but not enough.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Reed expos is a multinational running over 500 shows worldwide. The ESOS is just one show. They could take a 100% loss and it wouldn't hurt them too bad.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You are right Reed expos are everywhere but that doenn't mean that we have to stick to hunting site now does it. I am getting address for one of there future show in the US just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are caught between a rock and a hard place. Stand by their decision and they may lose more vendors and visitors, but the show will go on. They will still make money. If they do an about face, then the backlash from antis could be huge. The damage is all ready done. If they would have kept their mouth shut to start, they may have gotten some nasty letters, emails, and calls. Maybe even a few protesters, but it would have blown over in a couple of weeks. Now... It could hurt them for future outdoor sport venues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
reeds international site
reedexpo.com/en/Our-Events/events-list/?kw=usa&startRecord=1#

The shot show, comic books, a couple of security shows that might be on our side. The swiss watch show must be a big one. The shot show and esos I'll bet are the biggest.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
At this point, I don't really care about any financial losses to Reeds. It is more about sending a message to politicians and the rest of the country that we will stand together in support of the 2nd amendment and will not support any organization who doesn't.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't believe they will be hurt. I'm sure the booth rentals will make up for the rental arrangements at the Complex. They are counting on admissions, parking and food purchases during the week to make their money. If their number is correct and expect a 200,000 person attendance, that's $2.8 mil in just admissions alone. The Boycott page has roughly 12,000 likes. That's a drop in the bucket. Does anyone know if the vendor contracts had Reed making a percentage off of sales? Unless we see a major drop in vendors, Reed will still have a surplus. We all know the music industry makes their money off the ticket sales and t-shirts and not the albums.

·
Registered
465 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
At this point, I don't really care about any financial losses to Reeds. It is more about sending a message to politicians and the rest of the country that we will stand together in support of the 2nd amendment and will not support any organization who doesn't.
That's what I have been saying all along. Washington is watching.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'll still go to the show......

<span style="font-size: 14pt">TO PROTEST WHILE CARRYING!</span>

·
Registered
389 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
TraskOutdoors,
Your post is right on the target!! We need to show solidarity to those in the political arena that we belive in the Constitution and will not let our hard won rights to be trampled!!
Smage

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
During the week of the show, al our efforts needs to be focused on:

1. Supporting those that pulled out to the best of our collective ability,

2. Starting to apply pressure to out gun rights organizations to spearhead the effort to buy the rights to the show and produce it themselves - or encourage others to produce a similar show FOR NEXT YEAR.

A two year loss will put Reed out. A challenge to the brand they essentially ruined with this action will further ensure its death.

Thee is no doubt that sportsmen want a show. There is also no doubt that that show needs to stay in Pennsylvania. A change of name will not hurt the show or attendance, and that is what will need to happen. The sponsors are waiting in the wings as are the celeb's and the exhibitors.

There is a year to work on the plan and details. Finding those willing to take on the task will be the issue.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A bunch of innocent kids were shot and killed. Do you think this show is going to even put a dent in whats going to happen to gun law changes. Even your local poloticians are going to say there standing up for your rights but face it, people are getting shot more than ever. I do not believe gun control laws will affect hunters in PA. because we do not use semi-rifles now as it stands. You can show the people in DC your outdoor show, but parents of those kids and teachers can show pictures of families that will never be the same. I am certain boycotting this show mean very little, politcians are faced with a large amount of loss of life, not 1 but numerous times the last few years involving automatic rifles. Should hunters or ALL gun owners be punished NO. But the new laws are going to keep crimnals from buying guns at gun shows over the table. And will make these gun collectors sell there guns the legal way. But that does not mean they will not sill obtain guns, and its going to take years for all these registered guns to be tracked down in killings,etc. But they are going to change gun laws after these last killings you can take that to the bank. And guys sitting on a ton of unregistered guns are going to have to get them registered or they will be given a feloney. If your legal these gun laws should not affect you. There are many ammendments to the constitution and you can bet the 2nd amendment will be changed and is at this very moment, no matter what innocent gun owners boycott.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
A bunch of innocent kids were shot and killed. Do you think this show is going to even put a dent in whats going to happen to gun law changes. Even your local poloticians are going to say there standing up for your rights but face it, people are getting shot more than ever. I do not believe gun control laws will affect hunters in PA. because we do not use semi-rifles now as it stands. You can show the people in DC your outdoor show, but parents of those kids and teachers can show pictures of families that will never be the same. I am certain boycotting this show mean very little, politcians are faced with a large amount of loss of life, not 1 but numerous times the last few years involving automatic rifles. Should hunters or ALL gun owners be punished NO. But the new laws are going to keep crimnals from buying guns at gun shows over the table. And will make these gun collectors sell there guns the legal way. But that does not mean they will not sill obtain guns, and its going to take years for all these registered guns to be tracked down in killings,etc. But they are going to change gun laws after these last killings you can take that to the bank. And guys sitting on a ton of unregistered guns are going to have to get them registered or they will be given a feloney. If your legal these gun laws should not affect you. There are many ammendments to the constitution and you can bet the 2nd amendment will be changed and is at this very moment, no matter what innocent gun owners boycott.
Ugh...:facepalm.

Step 1: Do some research before making a fool of one self.

A. Violent crime is decreasing. Murder rates have been going down for many years.

B. Gun control laws will affect hunters in other states. Again, the ESOS is "Eastern". I can count 23 states or commonwealths East of the Mississippi (that's the big band of blue in the middle of the country). A large number of states allow semi-auto rifles for hunting. Pennsylvania allows semi-auto shotguns for hunting. Also many law abiding citizens use semi-automatic handguns for self and property protection.

C. Please provide evidence of anyone killed this last year with an "automatic" weapon. If you are confusing "semi-auto" with "automatic", please see Step 1.

D. Criminals do not obey laws. Why pay an exorbitant amount for a gun-show gun when you can get one for 1/3 on the black market with the Serial number ground off?

E. Registration is actually not required in PA, and it is unlawful for the PA government to maintain a registry of firearms. 18 Pa.C.S. 6111.4 (Registration of Firearms) . So instead of creating laws that would tie the hands of criminals, you would support laws that tie the hands of law abiding citizens? I say instead of giving the law abiding citizen a felony, we should give the politicians and criminals a felony.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
But they are going to change gun laws after these last killings you can take that to the bank. And guys sitting on a ton of unregistered guns are going to have to get them registered or they will be given a feloney. If your legal these gun laws should not affect you.
What "guys sitting on a ton of unregistered guns" are you talking about????

I see your a new member........welcome.
Do you own any firearms? I have a feeling you don't......
If you did you would know that only handguns are "registered" and all handguns, regardless of new, used or privately owned do not get sold at "gun shows" or anywhere else for that matter without a background check.

"If your legal these gun laws should not affect you"
What gun laws are you talking about???
It does affect me and everyone else no matter what!
Registration of whatever "they" want to classify as an "assault weapon", At $200 a piece!
Said "weapons" can not be sold OR passed on to our kids.
Just to name a couple!

ANY new gun laws restricting any type of gun owners is unacceptable and an infringement of we the people's constitutional right!

If ANY new laws come about by the sissy hypocrites, you call politicians, that affect me in ANYWAY they can have my ammo...... One bullet at a time. You can take that to the bank!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
Great day in the Manger.
I tried to read through that but all I got out of it was a headache.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
scottm2012 said:
Alpine Shooter said:
Ugh...:facepalm.

Step 1: Do some research before making a fool of one self.

A. Violent crime is decreasing. Murder rates have been going down for many years.

B. Gun control laws will affect hunters in other states. Again, the ESOS is "Eastern". I can count 23 states or commonwealths East of the Mississippi (that's the big band of blue in the middle of the country). A large number of states allow semi-auto rifles for hunting. Pennsylvania allows semi-auto shotguns for hunting. Also many law abiding citizens use semi-automatic handguns for self and property protection.

C. Please provide evidence of anyone killed this last year with an "automatic" weapon. If you are confusing "semi-auto" with "automatic", please see Step 1.

D. Criminals do not obey laws. Why pay an exorbitant amount for a gun-show gun when you can get one for 1/3 on the black market with the Serial number ground off?

E. Registration is actually not required in PA, and it is unlawful for the PA government to maintain a registry of firearms. 18 Pa.C.S. 6111.4 (Registration of Firearms) . So instead of creating laws that would tie the hands of criminals, you would support laws that tie the hands of law abiding citizens? I say instead of giving the law abiding citizen a felony, we should give the politicians and criminals a felony.
Very good reply!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts